• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1990 penny

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys. This 1990 Penny Has a nice wink when you turn it in the light. And I don’t know how to tell a proof coin  from  A regular straight coin  could you help ?

E7BC8F50-14F3-49E9-923B-C4E5DCDA87BA.jpeg

629F1B97-8AA8-4E6B-A26C-68933083044B.jpeg

3A66E7AB-01D7-4828-8A7D-5CF89281007A.jpeg

57619C83-D795-4D1C-A2CB-C190F2D831ED.jpeg

A09A7C4B-0AA4-4E9F-82E0-7E0287DAAE0D.jpeg

Are you looking for the no S proof coin?  This is not it.  I can say that any proof coin from 1960's (not sure when they made the cut over to San Francisco) would have an S mint mark on it. please don't quote me on this since I am not an expert like the rest of the folks here. But i do know this much, 1990 Proofs would bear an S mint mark. Having said that, they will also have a mirror finish. 

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/lincoln-cents-memorial-reverse-1959-2008-pscid-100/1990-s-1c-pf-rdc-coinid-63945

Hope this helps. 

I recently looked at a copy of the Cherrypicker's Guide, and I now know why so many variety hunters have no idea what a proof coin looks like. It's because the illustration of the No-S 1990 proof in the Cherrypicker's Guide is so horrible. If I were going from that picture, I'd have no idea what a 1990 No-S proof looked like either. Go look at actual modern proofs coins first!

1 hour ago, Jaynh said:

Thank you guys for your help. I’m trying to learn the rim difference This coin game  isn’t  easy lol

You'll hear squared off vs. rounded for proof vs. business strike rims.  If I could draw a side diagram it'd be something like:   |_| vs. U

Looking at actual proof coins in hand as @VKurtB suggested would be beneficial to compare.

Image result for proof rim vs business strike rim

5 minutes ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

You'll hear squared off vs. rounded for proof vs. business strike rims.  If I could draw a side diagram it'd be something like:   |_| vs. U

Looking at actual proof coins in hand as @VKurtB suggested would be beneficial to compare.

Image result for proof rim vs business strike rim

Nice picture. thank you 

Are you looking for the no S proof coin?  This is not it.  I can say that any proof coin from 1960's (not sure when they made the cut over to San Francisco) would have an S mint mark on it. please don't quote me on this since I am not an expert like the rest of the folks here. But i do know this much, 1990 Proofs would bear an S mint mark. Having said that, they will also have a mirror finish. 

Your partially right but in fact there are 1990 Proof Cents with no MM. They were made by accident and there are believed to be less than 200 in existence.

This photo will also show what an actual Proof looks like.

1990 no S mm.jpg