• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 American eagle silver dollar

9 posts in this topic

Need opinions on sending this silver dollar in to get graded. I have the certificate of authenticity that says it’s an uncirculated version issued by the United States mint. I have read where one of these silver dollars graded NGC MS70 sold at auction in 2013 for $3,105. 

BF69A8F4-5979-4284-BD87-FCF0B63B06DA.jpeg

1DFA531A-E1C6-44E9-A04E-A371A28BDE68.jpeg

BDC2B681-9B65-43D9-A002-96607F46A7AE.jpeg

Isn't this the same coin you asked about yesterday and Conder gave you  an answer on.

As he stated unless it graded MS70 it is not worth sending out and it is impossible to tell by a photo of it should grade that high. They are all uncirculated so that doesn' t  really mean too much.

You beat me too by about a minute Just Bob

Edited by Greenstang
Added copy

Yeah it is I was just being impatient I suppose. I didn’t know if having the certificate of authenticity would make a difference or not. I’m pretty new to this and I appreciate all the advice. 

The "Certificate of Authenticity" is worthless.  Unc coins did NOT come from the Mint in holders like that or with certificates of authenticity.  Some private company has put a bullion 2002 ASE in a capsule and then in either a proof silver eagle box (or in an aftermarket box that looks like a proof eagle box.  Such boxes are available, the Mint even sold them for awhile.) and then frinted up their own certificate so they could sell them at an inflated price.  Sometime dealers or Silvertowne used to make up things like this to sell through banks.  I would also expect that the TV coin shows probably made up items like this from time to time.  But it is not a product that the US Mint sold.

I'm pretty sure the TV shows would want more than $3 grand for a MS70 Silver Eagle with such a "highly collectable & sought after" pedigree unless ICG graded the specimen as a "Highly Collectable" MS74.5!!    Only a DRUNK rich insufficiently_thoughtful_person would pay anywhere close to the amount for an unremarkable, ordinary date "business struck" uncirculated A.S.E. investment coin.     You may have "read it somewhere", but that's not a realistic price unless the coin was somehow extremely unique or unusual.  I'd wager it was not an article printed in a "Red Book" or on a "Grey Sheet"-- both of which I consider reputable sources when the approx. current value of a U.S. minted coin is desired.

5 hours ago, Richard N said:

I'm pretty sure the TV shows would want more than $3 grand for a MS70 Silver Eagle with such a "highly collectable & sought after" pedigree unless ICG graded the specimen as a "Highly Collectable" MS74.5!!    Only a DRUNK rich insufficiently_thoughtful_person would pay anywhere close to the amount for an unremarkable, ordinary date "business struck" uncirculated A.S.E. investment coin.     You may have "read it somewhere", but that's not a realistic price unless the coin was somehow extremely unique or unusual.  I'd wager it was not an article printed in a "Red Book" or on a "Grey Sheet"-- both of which I consider reputable sources when the approx. current value of a U.S. minted coin is desired.

I read about it selling for that much on the PCGS CoinFacts app. 

58DFFE90-466D-475E-AA35-CEC30CF236A9.png

1467E416-4778-4898-A726-CED956CC6E83.png

That listing is an error. The coin auctioned, lot# 2087, was a 2009 Ultra High Relief one ounce gold coin.

In a weird coincidence, NGC has a 2002 Silver Eagle on their price page that supposedly sold for $3805. The link is to Lot# 2088 in that same auction - a coin which sold right after the coin you linked - another Ultra High Relief in MS70.Very odd that both TPGs would have errors from the same auction, involving the same type coins. Must have been a glitch on the part of Goldberg, the auction company.

here is a link to the original auction

Bottom line: Your coin is not worth anywhere near $3000, even if it grades MS70. The misinformation gave you a false sense of hope, unfortunately.

Edited by Just Bob