• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1921 -D Morgan Cull or some Value?

9 posts in this topic

Hello all, 

I recently this coin what was in a lot. I was basically more interested in the lot than the coin because if the deliberate damage on the reverse. What do you guys think? is it now a cull Melt value coin or did it retain some of its worth? I did not pay much (very cheap) for it and was able to lower the cost of the lot because of this. 

20191104_140922.jpg

20191104_140944.jpg

Why would anyone do such a thing, I wonder what went through their mind. or were they trying to clean it? I payed basically melt value for it. about 15 bucks. throw it with the stackers lol . perhaps make a keychain out of it or something. put it to use. Paper weight. lol

Thank you @Just Bob and @JKK

Remember: it used to be money. (It still is, of course. But you know what I mean.) There was a day when that was no more special to anyone than is a common presidential dollar today. They thought no more of vandalizing it than we do of running a 2017 penny through an elongate machine.

It's not worth much regardless, but have another look. I'm suspicious of these kinds of things when the "graffiti" appears to originate right up against raised features or passes under them (particularly that olive leaf). How is it that the "scratches" don't distinctly cross the wreath or the feathers, but originate right up against them?

8 hours ago, kbbpll said:

How is it that the "scratches" don't distinctly cross the wreath or the feathers, but originate right up against them?

One possibility would be that the scratches were put on when the coin was AU or so, but the lines which were once on the high points have since been worn away, while the lower area - the field - was somewhat protected.

9 hours ago, JKK said:

Remember: it used to be money. (It still is, of course. But you know what I mean.) There was a day when that was no more special to anyone than is a common presidential dollar today. They thought no more of vandalizing it than we do of running a 2017 penny through an elongate machine.

Yeah, it is money, I can still take it to the bank and get a dollar worth.

8 hours ago, kbbpll said:

It's not worth much regardless, but have another look. I'm suspicious of these kinds of things when the "graffiti" appears to originate right up against raised features or passes under them (particularly that olive leaf). How is it that the "scratches" don't distinctly cross the wreath or the feathers, but originate right up against them?

From the picture it is hard to see but they do extend into the feathers and the olive branches. 

33 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

One possibility would be that the scratches were put on when the coin was AU or so, but the lines which were once on the high points have since been worn away, while the lower area - the field - was somewhat protected.

I think that is what happened. It might have been a test by someone it ensure that the coin was real silver. it is a shame. the scratches are deep that it would be hard to get it polished for a key chain. I think keychain is the best bet.

I don't think it is any of the TOP 50 VAM type.