• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 double die cent

19 posts in this topic

Wow, I was completely expecting an obvious counterfeit. Post an image of the reverse for better grading response. I have no idea how to grade these but judging by some on Heritage it has to be 55-63 BN territory. Great first post.

VF easily. EF arguably. Great piece. From the pics, yes, I concur that's a 1955 doubled die, and I don't see anything about it that would cause it not to grade. Sweet find!

The biggest worry here would be a cast counterfeit, but I don't see any reason to believe this is one. Reason to believe it is not one is that it has a respectable quantity of credible scratch-and-ding activity that looks like circulation. When something looks like circulation, I usually go with what Occam teaches.

I'm having trouble "online grading" this one. Here's an NGC AU55 CAC. https://coins.ha.com/itm/lincoln-cents/small-cents/1955-1c-doubled-die-obverse-fs-101-au55-ngc-cac/a/1292-3134.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515. Yours looks better to me.

1955_DD.jpg

On 11/2/2019 at 5:50 PM, Shellman said:

Not a real coin guy so didn't even know there were fakes out there, just always knew it was rare.

The real thing is very rare, and that one looks real. Plus, no one decided to clean it--it looks natural and attractive. In a slab, that one could and likely would get into low four figures. High three is in my opinion almost a lock.

Wow - someone finally posted a real DDO!  Get that baby graded when you can and then review auction sold prices to determine real value.  Unless the grade is XF45 or higher, you're looking at maybe $1000 value as long as there are no "details" on the grade determination.  Good luck!

Have it graded by NGC or PCGS to maximize your value.