• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Verified 1893 key date help

9 posts in this topic

After a bit of work and a few visits to multiple coin dealers, i have verified my 1893 key date Morgan silver dollar to be authentic. My question is, the Philadelphia mint made 2 batches of "no mint mark" Morgans that year. 378000 for circulation, and 732 proofs. Is there a way to tell which one i have? Here are 2 pictures to help. Thank you, any help would be beyond appreciated. 

20191028_150922.jpg

20191028_150942.jpg

4 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the Forum Just A Guy

Yours is a business strike made for circulation.

Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time for me. I figured, but I still feel pretty lucky to have found one in a bulk purchase i made. I honestly got an amazing deal from an auction. I aquired this coin, plus 7 other Morgan's, as well as a 1922 peace dollar, and a 1950 canadian silver dollar, all for $112. I cant complain at all. Thanks again. 

You did well. The bullion in those coins is worth more than that.

Can you supply a picture both sides of the 1950 Canadian Silver Dollar, there are four different varieties of that year.

1 minute ago, Greenstang said:

You did well. The bullion in those coins is worth more than that.

Can you supply a picture both sides of the 1950 Canadian Silver Dollar, there are four different varieties of that year.

Definitely. Here is the Canadian. 

20191028_151026(1).jpg

20191028_151043.jpg

Thanks-

I thought it might be a Short Water Line Variety but the bottom two lines are a bit too long so it would be what they call a FWL (Full Water Line)

Still a nice coin though.

FYI- Canadian Silver Dollars are 80% silver

9 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Thanks-

I thought it might be a Short Water Line Variety but the bottom two lines are a bit too long so it would be what they call a FWL (Full Water Line)

Still a nice coin though.

FYI- Canadian Silver Dollars are 80% silver

Thank you. I knew it was silver but i didnt realize the % was that high. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. 

Oh, could i could bug you with one more question? I have yet to get a coin graded because the majority of my collection is $20-$25 valued coins, and the feedback i get is "dont grade it unless it very valuable".  Would you recommend grading the 1893 key date?

15 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

I would say so. It is certainly worth more than the $150.00 I use as my minimum for grading.

Thanks man. In all seriousness. Its rare to come across helpful people now-adays.