• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Franklin 1956 Proof Question

4 posts in this topic

I own the coin pictured here in this post and when I scan the bar code in the Verify NGC app, it lists the price guide value as $2,200. While the label doesn’t indicate a type, it appears to be a Type 2. If you look up a Type 2 PF 68 Cameo in the price guide, the value is listed at $325.  Why the discrepancy?  The price guide also shows a listing for just a 1956 (no type designated) and there you find the $2,200 value for a 68 Cameo.  I am dazed and confused, happily so if in fact my coin is actually worth $2,200. By the way, the price guide for a Type 1 68 Cameo is $3,600. 

4CD5C020-D7BB-48C4-ABB4-AEAC82F50028.jpeg

906EAB53-5A61-4168-AD09-21486C30BA63.jpeg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Your coin was graded years before NGC distinguished between the Type 1 and Type 2 reverses. The confusion results from that fact that the present labeling doesn't correspond to either slot. You should consider sending it in for VarietyPlus Service, and NGC will apply the correct description. The look-up feature will give you the correct information after that.

So all prices shown for 1956 Franklin proofs not attributed as Type 1 or Type 2 are actually null and void.  This coin would go from $2200 to $325 if I send it in for Variety plus attribution.  Why even list prices for non attributed ‘56 proofs?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

There are enough 1956 proof halves with no distinction between reverse types still in outstanding NGC slabs that they can't be dismissed from the Census Report. As long as they are on it there will be some sort of pricing, though we may have to reassess the actual figures.