• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

92 d penny
1 1

43 posts in this topic

Know this isnt supposed to happen on a 92, but errors do happen. If you look at liberty; you can actually see where it was double stamped along with date and mint mark. On reverse top of memorial building has what appears to be an extra top line. Maybe I'm just fishing, but would someone with more knowledge take a look and let me know what you see?

191021_220234.jpg

191021_220216.jpg

191021_220624.jpg

20191021_215937.jpg

191021_220254.jpg

191021_220254.jpg

Looks to me like DDD (Die Deterioration Doubling).

Happens when die starts to wear out after 100's of thousands of impressions at the mint.

Edited by Greenstang

48 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Looks to me like DDR (Die Deterioration Doubling).

Happens when die starts to wear out after 100's of thousands of impressions at the mint.

So it's a spender then?

Tridmn,

You are not going to get rich with your finds, unless writing a popular book is in your future - one on striking anomalies. Seriously, the collection of images you are acquiring would be a waste if you fail to publish. Think long term, not the "quick hit". Knowledge is king in this hobby, and you certainly are accumulating that by the bucketload.

3 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Tridmn,

You are not going to get rich with your finds, unless writing a popular book is in your future - one on striking anomalies. Seriously, the collection of images you are acquiring would be a waste if you fail to publish. Think long term, not the "quick hit". Knowledge is king in this hobby, and you certainly are accumulating that by the bucketload.

We haven't seen eye to eye on many issues. I do wish you would stop bringing up writing a book on what not to look for. I do find that very rude. Isnt that why I am here? To learn...

23 hours ago, Tridmn said:

We haven't seen eye to eye on many issues. I do wish you would stop bringing up writing a book on what not to look for. I do find that very rude. Isnt that why I am here? To learn...

I’m being dead serious. You are accumulating one of the most massive image libraries of strike anomalies. Think seriously about publishing it someday. There’s more than one way to succeed in numismatics.

Obsessing only on finding “doubling” is going to lead you down a path that you really don’t want to go. It's not a path to anything resembling riches, but it will frustrate the heck out of 99%+ of the people who head down that path. Truly TRULY publishing is your far better choice.

Edited by VKurtB

10 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I’m being dead serious. You are accumulating one of the most massive image libraries of strike anomalies. Think seriously about publishing it someday. There’s more than one way to succeed in numismatics.

Obsessing only on finding “doubling” is going to lead you down a path that you really don’t want to go. It's not a path to anything resembling riches, but it will frustrate the heck out of 99%+ of the people who head down that path. Truly TRULY publishing is your far better choice.

I'm not obsessing over doubling. If something catches my eye then I look closer. If it looks doubled then i ASK about it. I dont announce that i have a ddo or a ddr if I'm not sure. I'm asking for help when i dont know the answers.

Besides, I'm looking for key dates, weights, double ear, cam, wam, along with many other things and especially wheats. I love finding those. No matter what date.

Edited by Tridmn

16 hours ago, Tridmn said:

I'm not obsessing over doubling. If something catches my eye then I look closer. If it looks doubled then i ASK about it. I dont announce that i have a ddo or a ddr if I'm not sure. I'm asking for help when i dont know the answers.

We should all listen to VKURTB, he is a self-certified expert on all things numismatic.  Heck, he is probably an expert on all things inanimate and animate.   

Well, honestly I have seriously considered doing a book on that exact topic-What Isn't A Doubled Die. And then follow it up with-Coin Errors That Aren't Doubled Dies But Will Blow Your Mind.

5 hours ago, Mokiechan said:

We should all listen to VKURTB, he is a self-certified expert on all things numismatic.  Heck, he is probably an expert on all things inanimate and animate.   

Then guess the penny. Ddo, ddr?

191023_200135.jpg

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Looks like neither, to me. From that one picture, it appears to be a deteriorated 

It probably is. I'm messing with some people here. The whole front and back, as far as letters go are like that. Along with date and MM. 

191023_200057.jpg

Edited by Tridmn

On 10/24/2019 at 9:03 PM, Tridmn said:

It probably is. I'm messing with some people here. The whole front and back, as far as letters go are like that. Along with date and MM. 

191023_200057.jpg

This picture looks like Disturbed Plating doubling. 

On 10/24/2019 at 1:34 PM, Mokiechan said:

Okay @Mokiechan,

What's the heck's with all the hostility from you? I'm a fellow individual member of PAN, as I believe you are, and I count among my dearest friends in the hobby both Tom Uram AND Patrick McBride, who are great "buds". You have an attitude problem a mile wide, though. What's up? Your Pennsylvania state taxes actually PAY ME to be a Research Analyst for the General Assembly, so yeah, I need to have a wide and varied expertise. Not any shlub gets hired to do what I do. I actually work for a Rep. I once ran AGAINST, who later hired me.

Edited by VKurtB

8 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

@Tridmn-i thought you were keeping it because you like it?

Right now its sitting in my box to keep. I was just curious as to "need a penny, take a penny" so to speak. I've never seen one like it, and it is very neat looking. 

8 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Ooohhhmmmmmm.....3x. All of you. Right now. Lol!

@Tridmn if you're looking at 2019's be sure to look for the ones without a neck. They are calling them the 'floating head'. 

I haven't seen any without a neck yet. I usually dont look at such new pennies, but this one caught my eye for some reason.