• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are all 1943P Wartime Jefferson Nickels created the same?

3 posts in this topic

I have 2 Jefferson Nickels from 1943. both Philadelphia mint marks over Monticello on the Reverse. One weighs 5.2 Grams or 80 grains; the other weighs 4.8 Grams or 76 grains. The drop test from a few inches onto my desk reveal two entirely different sounds. The Coin at 4.8 grams has the typical silver sound, and has much wear. The 5.2 gram nickel has a different sound. It does not sound like a 1940 Nickel, that is 49 Grams or 76 grains. I am entirely confused. Did they make any nickels in 1943 out of another metal than Silver? 

IMG_20191017_182526918.jpg

No they are all 35% silver.  Sound is not a very good diagnostic tool.  Even with the same composition it can vary with the thickness (weight), force of strike can have an effect, plus the human ear is NOT a very precise instrument.  Adding to the problem with the war nickels is the fact that they a plagued with lamination problems which can cause changes in the sound or even eliminate the ring entirely..  And the laminations do not have to be visible on the surface of the coin.  Internal flaws can cause these problems.  A ring test can be suggestive, but should never be considered to be conclusive.

Thank you. I always thought all wartime Jefferson nickels were 35%. I did not know about the lamination problem. I just observed several with different looks and sounds. I appreciate the information. Thanks.