• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Kennedy struck in copper nickel clad

9 posts in this topic

The normal weight of a 40 percent silver coin from 1965 until 1970 is 11.5 grams. The copper nickel kennedies weigh 11.27 respectively. When weight matters.

Let me get this straight. You think you have a 1968-D coin struck onto a thickness of Cupronickel stock that literally did not exist until three years later? Okayeeeeee. C'mon Ratzie, think a little bit! I do have to commend you for your enthusiasm, but seriously, it needs to be tempered with some knowledge and thought.

3 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Let me get this straight. You think you have a 1968-D coin struck onto a thickness of Cupronickel stock that literally did not exist until three years later? Okayeeeeee. C'mon Ratzie, think a little bit! I do have to commend you for your enthusiasm, but seriously, it needs to be tempered with some knowledge and thought.

I think he has potential, take him under your wing. He could be a great collector if he is willing to learn. He just need so much guidance. I do too. :D

Please be aware that the inner core of 65, 66, 67, 68-D, and 69-D Kennedy halves are identical  to the 1971 and later ones, all copper in all cases, so that edge means nada. The only thing that changed was the outer layers.

Edited by VKurtB

11 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Please be aware that the inner core of 65, 66, 67, 68-D, and 69-D Kennedy halves are identical  to the 1971 and later ones, all copper in all cases,

Nope.  The center layer of the 40% silver halves was 20% silver 80% copper, the center layer of the copper nickel clad coins is 100% copper. (The unusually dark center layer on the OP coin tells me it is almost certainly the 20/80 composition.)

Ratzie, due to the mint tolerances on the weight (+/- .400 grams) a 40% silver half can weigh anywhere between 11.1 grams and 11.9 grams and still be in tolerance.  Since they were not rolling the clad strip at the mint there would not have been clad stip the proper thickness for a half dollar.  If half dollar blancj were punched from clad stock it would have had to have been either dime or quarter stock and the weight would be much lower.  I believe a half dollar on quarter stock weighs around 10.8 grams.

Edited by Conder101