• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC photo vision service

46 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Fairly sure that internet image is the photo of the full slab no close up of the coin itself.

It is, but I will post it here nonetheless as it adds breadth to the discussion of NGC's photo services. Unless you, as the OP, prefer that I don't. 

Edited by coinsandmedals
Typo

3 minutes ago, coinsandmedals said:

It is, but I will post it here nonetheless as it adds breadth to the discussion of NGC's photo services. Unless you, as the OP, prefer that I don't. 

Not at all please do post the images, I'd love to see them.

As promised here are the composition NGC photos from my recent small submission, I have blocked out the numbers as the grades have not posted yet and resized them otherwise these are just as sent by NGC.  Overall the quality of the photos is excellent, the two Morgans.

1891 compg.jpg

1904 compg.jpg

Edited by Coinbuf

@Mk123The pictures do an excellent in terms of details, sharpness, and clarity, however the luster seems muted so I would have to say that the pics do not do as good a job of reflecting the look of these coins in hand as I would like.  I have some that I want to send to Mark Goodman so I may have one or two of these done by him to compare the two styles.

Sorry to bump and old thread... Is there a way to see if a coin has a PhotoVision image taken similar to where a TrueView shows up in the cert verification page? When I search the NGC verification, only the typical images show up. I know a few of my coins have a PhotoVision image from the previous owners but cannot seem to access them. Any thoughts?

I really do not think you can pull up those images - I do not know is for certain, however. When I search on mine - all I see are the stock photos. The photo vision photos are probably stored in another database or server since they are so large.

The NGC photos look good! No drama or exaggerated saturation.

Luster is not something one would expect to capture in a static, monocular photo.

4 hours ago, RWB said:

The NGC photos look good! No drama or exaggerated saturation.

Luster is not something one would expect to capture in a static, monocular photo.

Not true at all, here is the 1917 dime that I posted above as shot by the incomparable Mark Goodman.  His shots capture the coin and the luster without any exaggeration.  This is how the coin looks in hand vs the very dull look from the NGC photos.

1917tccomp.jpg

6 hours ago, boosibri said:

Sorry to bump and old thread... Is there a way to see if a coin has a PhotoVision image taken similar to where a TrueView shows up in the cert verification page? When I search the NGC verification, only the typical images show up. I know a few of my coins have a PhotoVision image from the previous owners but cannot seem to access them. Any thoughts?

Not that I am aware of, If I understand it correctly the reason you can see the TV's ats is because they are loaded into the separate coinfacts database and tied to the cert number.  I'm sure that NGC could do something similar but to the best of my knowledge they have not done so; I do agree with your thoughts on your thread ats that this is an area where NGC could improve.

3 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Not that I am aware of, If I understand it correctly the reason you can see the TV's ats is because they are loaded into the separate coinfacts database and tied to the cert number.  I'm sure that NGC could do something similar but to the best of my knowledge they have not done so; I do agree with your thoughts on your thread ats that this is an area where NGC could improve.

I don't know -- I think NGC does it right. you pay for the photograph and it should be yours exclusively unless you want to share it. It shouldn't appear on the site for anyone to lift for free. 

I do do see your point, however. 

20 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Not true at all, here is the 1917 dime that I posted above as shot by the incomparable Mark Goodman.  His shots capture the coin and the luster without any exaggeration.  This is how the coin looks in hand vs the very dull look from the NGC photos.

Mark's photo of the 1917 dime is different, and that might be preferable to the NGC approach, but neither can capture luster because that is not possible in without stereo binocular imagery and the ability to make slight alterations in viewing angle. (A really good color hologram would work.)