• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Confusing coin, Should be copper?

11 posts in this topic

Looking for some wisdom on this one. I have a 1949 Great Britain 1 farthing coin, My research shows it should be copper, It does not look anything like that. Can copper have this tone? I included a 51 Farthing for comparison. Any thoughts from the experts? Thanks in advance

IMG_20191015_233749_6.jpg

IMG_20191015_233754_7.jpg

No expert here, but it looks like it may have been plated, and the plating has come off in those numerous spots where copper/darker color is showing.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Are you certain it's a farthing and not a sixpence? There about the same diameter.

This may seem like a crazy question, but you didn't illustrate the reverse, which would settle the matter.

Thanks for the info. So what you are saying is someone plated this after it was minted? Just curious why would that be done? to increase value with some kind of fake? I guess to fake it as silver seems like a lot of effort for not a big payoff,

Not uncommon to have coins plated especially US and Canada coins. Sometimes their plated to be used in jewellery but usually they are plated and sold as novelty or souvenir coins. I bought my granddaughter a set of Canadian cents plated in blue, pink, gold and silver.

1 hour ago, Greenstang said:

Not uncommon to have coins plated especially US and Canada coins. Sometimes their plated to be used in jewellery but usually they are plated and sold as novelty or souvenir coins. I bought my granddaughter a set of Canadian cents plated in blue, pink, gold and silver.

Thanks for the explanation, that does make some sense. Everyday is an adventure in coin collecting!

And since the farthing and six pence were about the same size and had basically the same obv, they could be plated to pass as sixpence.  It may seem trival, but it was probably worth it.  (Think about the trouble people went to in the US to grind down the diameter of cent to use them as dimes in vending machines.)

9 hours ago, Conder101 said:

And since the farthing and six pence were about the same size and had basically the same obv, they could be plated to pass as sixpence.  It may seem trival, but it was probably worth it.  (Think about the trouble people went to in the US to grind down the diameter of cent to use them as dimes in vending machines.)

I had that thought as well, thinking of the 1883 V-nickel "no cents" that was plated with gold and passed off as a 5 dollar coin, forcing the mint to change the reverse design. Of course the profit margin there was much higher.