• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Talk, Varieties and New Discoveries
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I feel like some are wondering what Hinkle is doing or thinking when posting certain coins on here. Well I'm  looking strongly for the varieties that are in the red book and also on the NGC varietypluse. But also finding odd ball ones that I come across. When I started a year and half ago, I was reading up on some past news here on NGC site. I learned a lot by reading the news, little things like a red book and learning about collecting. When I'm reading the news I try to see a picture on what the hosts are wanting to see in the hobby ,and how they want people to succeed. I would post certain articles ,but I feel if someone wants to know what I'm reading they can read up on it and get the same understanding I am. Like it states in the ad that they get excited looking for new discoveries. Now I might be wrong but that says alot. Maybe I'm thinking different when there saying that ,but possibly be talking about something other. And also an article saying they want people to be patient on going forward in the hobby when buying and investing ect. I feel I'm like the odd one here because I'm reading all this and somewhat catching on what there wanting to see in the hobby. A month after I started I found a really good example of mr Lincoln on zinc. I keep this coin in front of me when I'm roll hunting. I'm aware alot of people aren't into modern coins. But just understanding zinc coins better. As there are alot in circulation. I could have posted this coin way back but didn't because it's damage. There's a rpm but possibly gas bubble. Clearly see some kind of doubling under chin its raised you can see the groves of the doubling .but possibly MD. Die crack from eye to the back of head. Possibly gas bubble burst through circulation. And a die crack through his chest. Witch looks like some kind of gas bubble. And alot of corrosion on the coin. I'm not saying a 100 but 90 percent chance if I cleaned this coin it would show alot of people what I'm seeing. But last for most Lincoln is sticking his tongue out to everyone. But that's probably a air bubble. His lip isn't supposed to be sticking out that far. All I'm saying is anything is possible. Here's a pic on my interesting piece. 

20191011_141341.jpg

You have a lot going on with that coin but I can't see anything good.

Looks like you have a combination of staining, linear plating bubble,  zinc rot and possibly a scratch that can account for most of what you see.

Is there a such thang in diesecting coins. I used to diesect frogs in school at one time. Lol I'm just trying to be funny again. I'm just getting the understanding ,when it comes to zinc coins they need to be put in a safe holder when you find them in uncirculated conditions. Because once there being passed around in the open or going through circulation there going to look somewhat like the one in the pic, especially over the years and ware. So there out there, but the question is who's going to be the lucky one's that finds them in a high grade. I feel even high grade zinc isn't valuable. I don't think there's nothing valuable about them. Like copper there's a few ways there valuable , like one it's copper. Lol

8 minutes ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

There are still plenty of mint sets from the 80s & 90s available at an affordable price if searching for gem+ zinc cents.  

True, when I get ready to start buying sets and or certain coins, will the coin dealers or say coin shops have a fit if I pull out my handy dandy megafine glass. Because I would like to scan through them before purchasing. I want them, like you're saying a gem+. What I'm understanding any split plate doubling or bunch of air bubbles are considered damage coins. Especially in mint sets. If someone was to come across one of those what the best way of savoring the rest of the other coins.

13 hours ago, Greenstang said:

You have a lot going on with that coin but I can't see anything good.

Looks like you have a combination of staining, linear plating bubble,  zinc rot and possibly a scratch that can account for most of what you see.

There's a whole lot. That's why I kept it to learn a little bit better when it comes to zinc. And true, there's nothing good about that coin. That's why I didn't post it before. Because everyone would have had alot of opinions on it that I pretty much know already. But comes down to it just damage. Honestly it helped me understand a little. I can see what everyone is saying when talking about zinc coins. I didn't know there was so much about zinc. That's probably why alot of people strayed away from modern coins. I'm almost feeling the same. Lol

9 hours ago, Hinkle said:

True, when I get ready to start buying sets and or certain coins, will the coin dealers or say coin shops have a fit if I pull out my handy dandy megafine glass. 

Not if they care anything about their customers, and they sell quality material. You would be ill-equipped if you went somewhere to look at coins without a loupe or magnifier. (Trust me. I have made that mistake.)

Here's the plain truth when it comes to Zincolns - collect them from pristine original condition or pretty much forget about them altogether. Nothing you see on a circulated Zincoln is worth a "rodent's rump".

On 10/15/2019 at 12:11 PM, VKurtB said:

Here's the plain truth when it comes to Zincolns - collect them from pristine original condition or pretty much forget about them altogether. Nothing you see on a circulated Zincoln is worth a "rodent's rump".

True,  I feel if any zinc coins when buying should be mint condition. Other wise there just bad in other kind of conditions. But some are almost good when buying uncirculated rolls.