• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1979 d multiple repunched mint mark

23 posts in this topic

Explain how you gouge metal so it builds back up over itself in a repeating pattern? A gouge wouldn’t overlap like that.

Edited by Ratzie33

14 hours ago, Ratzie33 said:

Explain how you gouge metal so it builds back up over itself in a repeating pattern? A gouge wouldn’t overlap like that.

If the object doing the gouging does not make the gouge in one smooth continuous movement it will show a repeating pattern like that as it hesitates, starts, hesitates, starts etc.  Every time the gouging object hesitates for an instant a new ridge line is created in the groove.

Dead give away that it was not done at the mint is;

The coin is tarnished and the so called "floating D" or more obvious, damage has not tarnish. Why would that area stay clean, untouched, while the rest of the coin degrades and corrodes? 

I apologize for being blunt but, just trying to help

2 hours ago, Dukemnm said:

I apologize for being blunt

Why? Why does anyone ever apologize for blunt truth? We're talking about actual facts here, folks.

Edited by VKurtB

52 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Why? Why does anyone ever apologize for blunt truth? We're talking about actual facts here, folks.

It's certainly better than hemming, hawing, and nervous chuckles.

2 hours ago, Dukemnm said:

Soften the blow. 

I think one of the things that is actually hurting us as a society is too much concern for "softening blows". We used to not be such hand-wringers about that. I miss those days, a lot!  I guess those of us who grew up with Civil Defense drills, where we literally knew where we'd go if nuclear weapons started dropping while we were at school, just grew up tougher. We didn't need trigger warnings or safe spaces. There were no safe spaces and we were okay with that. I was in 2nd grade during the Cuban Missile Crisis, and somehow we didn't need "Happy Talk Counseling".

Edited by VKurtB

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

I think one of the things that is actually hurting us as a society is too much concern for "softening blows". We used to not be such hand-wringers about that. I miss those days, a lot!  I guess those of us who grew up with Civil Defense drills, where we literally knew where we'd go if nuclear weapons started dropping while we were at school, just grew up tougher. We didn't need trigger warnings or safe spaces. There were no safe spaces and we were okay with that. I was in 2nd grade during the Cuban Missile Crisis, and somehow we didn't need "Happy Talk Counseling".

Yep. Definitely a generational gap difference. That isn't to say that life for some folks was not rough and developed calluses. In my First and Second grade, I attended a school where if my clothes were not pressed and shoes shined,  I was sent home and fail for the day or got a 0 in conduct. Yes, I was graded for conduct. in the times where it was Ok for the professor, (yeah, they didn't like "teachers" thing lol), to tug your sideburn or get smacked with a ruler for misbehaving or not turning in your homework. At home it was a little different, Manners and Values were at the heart of the lesson. 

It is not to say that most folks don't need a good smack upside the head to knock some sense into them. I just chose a different approach. 

Like delivering a blow with a boxers glove vs bare knuckles. Yes, bare knuckles is more pleasing :luhv: however, both are devastating and only one has a reciprocal effect.