• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1991S DDR

10 posts in this topic

Almost positive this could be a DDR on my 1991S Lincoln Cent chime in with thoughts I have a couple of sets and this is the only one that contains these unusual features on a proof cent 

20191012_095837.jpg

20191012_095753.jpg

Just now, Mason254 said:

Almost positive this could be a DDR on my 1991S Lincoln Cent chime in with thoughts I have a couple of sets and this is the only one that contains these unusual features on a proof cent 

20191012_095837.jpg

20191012_095753.jpg

20191012_092937.jpg

What I see is split plating doubling. The copper plating split during the strike, exposing the zinc core. That would actually be considered damage.

What explains this "mania" for "sending coins in"???? I mean, sure, that's the business NGC is in and all, but I don't understand this "push" to send non-valuable coins in to anybody. It's not a "rite of passage" or anything. Getting coins graded and encapsulated is expensive! It's not appropriate for most coins, even most collectible coins. I accumulate my submissions to take them to NGC at shows, to keep the fixed costs per submission down as low as possible. Even so, it's still an expensive proposition.

I submitted 13 at Chicago ANA in August, I'll have a few for Baltimore Whitman in November, then Bloomsbury in London for stuff I get over there, then F.U.N., then Atlanta ANA in February. Typically my NGC invoice is more expensive than my plane tickets are. (Finding cheap flights is my savant skill, and Baltimore is a "driver".) [Example: Harrisburg to Orlando is $140 round trip.]

Edited by VKurtB

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I accumulate my submissions to take them to NGC at shows, to keep the fixed costs per submission down as low as possible

What are the average savings when submitting at the shows? I am sending 7 coins today. cost is high and maybe I can wait for a show. 

2 hours ago, Dukemnm said:

What are the average savings when submitting at the shows? I am sending 7 coins today. cost is high and maybe I can wait for a show. 

You immediately eliminate all outbound shipping costs, before anything else. You also can "combine" forms for savings on inbound shipping, several types of forms, such as 1) Regular U.S., 2) Modern U.S., 3) Regular World, 4) Modern World, 5) Gold, etc. I always have more than one type of service, and that doesn't include specials, in price and/or service, that are frequently attached to shows.