• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1995 penny doubled chin
1 1

4 posts in this topic

It's not.  One suggestion for coin roll hunting as a beginner, only target the known varieties.  Rarely will you discover a new variety with new eyes.  But if you dedicate the time to only look for known varieties you'll work the rolls much faster, get to churn through more in less time, start to memorize the known major & minor varieties, and see exponentially more coins to help develop your eye.

My general approach to CRH when I used to:

1. Open up websites:  NGC VarietyPlus, VarietyVista (Coneca), Lincoln Cent Resource.  Over time I'd end up just with NGC VarietyPlus.  Reasoning?  If it's not a recognized variety for attribution then it's probably too minor to be valuable in circulated condition.

2. Open 4-5 rolls into 1 bowl

3. Separate coins from 1 bowl into 3 additional bowls - pre-1982 (copper), 1982, post-1982 (zinc)

4. Look at coins from one of the bowls only at a time.  For instance, post-1982 cents there's a few years & mintmarks you'll target and many you'll toss aside as not worth your time as nothing is documented for those years.

I think that's about it.  It's honestly been a while since I've done any CRH but you get the point.  In the beginning I'd spend way too long looking at every coin in the entire box, throwing it under a microscope, thinking there's something there that's not.  Then by the end before I moved on to actual numismatics (it felt like there was a shift for me) I'd churn through 3-4 boxes on a Saturday easily.  Pennies were my original preference but that was later replaced by nickels.  

16 minutes ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

It's not.  One suggestion for coin roll hunting as a beginner, only target the known varieties.  Rarely will you discover a new variety with new eyes.  But if you dedicate the time to only look for known varieties you'll work the rolls much faster, get to churn through more in less time, start to memorize the known major & minor varieties, and see exponentially more coins to help develop your eye.

1. Open up websites:  NGC VarietyPlus, VarietyVista (Coneca), Lincoln Cent Resource.  Over time I'd end up just with NGC VarietyPlus.  Reasoning?  If it's not a recognized variety for attribution then it's probably too minor to be valuable in circulated condition.

3. Separate coins from 1 bowl into 3 additional bowls - pre-1982 (copper), 1982, post-1982 (zinc)

4. Look at coins from one of the bowls only at a time.  For instance, post-1982 cents there's a few years & mintmarks you'll target and many you'll toss aside as not worth your time as nothing is documented for those years.

I think that's about it.  It's honestly been a while since I've done any CRH but you get the point.  In the beginning I'd spend way too long looking at every coin in the entire box, throwing it under a microscope, thinking there's something there that's not.  Then by the end before I moved on to actual numismatics (it felt like there was a shift for me) I'd churn through 3-4 boxes on a Saturday easily.  Pennies were my original preference but that was later replaced by nickels.  

Thanks crawtomatic, I really look for the varieties. But I come across ones that look like one there saying on variety vista and what to look for. I also look through The NGC varietyplus. But what I'm trying to say though is like an example the 1996 d double I posted a couple of hours ago. I looked in the red book and seen a 1995 DD but no pics. I went on line to see what it looks like on a 95. And my 96 d looks just like it. What I'm saying is I'm defently looking for the varieties,but I'm finding some examples on other years. I know collectors are looking for errors in high grade coins. So I know if I found that one that nobody expected to be out there, it's not going to be very valuable because it's been through circulation. I try to change it up sometimes when I'm hunting. I'll keep hunting for that cool one.

On 10/11/2019 at 2:24 PM, CRAWTOMATIC said:

Hi crawtomatic, listen to what you said that it's not a double chin. Well I went ahead and rubbed the heck out of it, to see if I can take it off. But didn't come off . So I took a toothpick and gently went across the doubling part and felt grooves. Like driving a car going over speed bumps lol. Idk I should have left it alone put it in a 2x2 flip. But you can tell it's been messed with, but still kind of looks the same. I just wanted to check because its pretty much a damage coin anyway. Thought I would let you know.