• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960, 1961 d penny error questions
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I came across these two very nice cents coin roll hunting. My question is the 1960 looks like larg over small. But I could be wrong. I see something going on in the 9, 6 and 0 in the date. My other question is ,I'm aware what we all are looking for what they call double die . It would have some really strong doubling. The 1961 d has no doubling anywhere on the coin, except the date. The doubling is shifted to the west in the date. If I'm not wrong would that also be a MD because it doesn't look like a strong two of everything in the date.

20191010_101222.jpg

20191010_101344.jpg

10 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

The 1960 can't be a small over large date as that only occurs on 1960D cents.

Your right on the 1961, it is MD.

Thanks Greenstang, I might be wrong again but they have it listed in the red book.  But none has been found or authenticated. I might not be understanding what there saying here in the book. Here's a pic.

20191010_135342.jpg

Strange, don't know why they put it in there, they have two different versions listed, a small over large and a large over small and I have never seen or heard of either one. Maybe someone else has an answer.

14 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Strange, don't know why they put it in there, they have two different versions listed, a small over large and a large over small and I have never seen or heard of either one. Maybe someone else has an answer.

Right, that's why I'm a little confused. I always thought the same, that it was on the Denver. Interesting though. 

1 hour ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

eh...the link to their forums is broken from that page but here it is.

http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/forum.php

That forum got me all confused. I registered but didn't get far. But you're right nothing about a 1960 plain penny  large over small. Idk maybe someone can help with this. Thanks Crawtomatic.

39 minutes ago, Hinkle said:

That forum got me all confused. I registered but didn't get far. But you're right nothing about a 1960 plain penny  large over small. Idk maybe someone can help with this. Thanks Crawtomatic.

To my knowledge, the Philly LD over SD, and SD over LD are only among the proofs, hence the dash under that column. Extremely rare. Kind of makes you wish you examined the 1960 proof cents at the last auction you were at that had some, doesn't it?

Edited by VKurtB

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

To my knowledge, the Philly LD over SD, and SD over LD are only among the proofs, hence the dash under that column. Extremely rare. Kind of makes you wish you examined the 1960 proof cents at the last auction you were at that had some, doesn't it?

This is correct, according to our illustrious hosts:

Variety Plus link to proof Lincolns

8 minutes ago, Hinkle said:

Hmmmm, interesting. I don't think my coin is a proof. I think it's a regular business strike. 

Yep, business strike.