• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1884 s morgan

14 posts in this topic

Hi, welcome to the Forum.

Nice coin but as Just Bob says, not uncirculated. Look at the wear to the hair above the ear. There is no detail left. Also I wouldn't class it as "rare" as there were over 3.2 million minted. Maybe semi-rare. I don't see anywhere on the 2x2 that the seller says it is uncirculated, where did you purchase it and if you don't mind, how much did you pay for it? Not being nosey, we are just trying to help you.

1) not uncirculated

2) not rare

3) not a key date

1884-S is a better date and can be expensive for a true uncirculated example, the coin you have posted grades about XF40 from the pic and that assumes it is a genuine 1884-S.  Prices for an XF40 example of this date/mm are around $60-$75 on average, if you paid more than that return it at once for a full refund and never buy from that source again.  If you truly feel that this is what an uncirculated coin looks like you need to learn how to grade or you will be taken to the proverbial cleaners.  Welcome to the forums, hopefully you will take the advice I and others have offered, the replies may seem harsh but better to find out now rather than after you have spent lots of money on wrongly graded possibly way overpriced coins.

5 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

1) not uncirculated

2) not rare

3) not a key date

1884-S is a better date and can be expensive for a true uncirculated example, the coin you have posted grades about XF40 from the pic and that assumes it is a genuine 1884-S.  Prices for an XF40 example of this date/mm are around $60-$75 on average, if you paid more than that return it at once for a full refund and never buy from that source again.  If you truly feel that this is what an uncirculated coin looks like you need to learn how to grade or you will be taken to the proverbial cleaners.  Welcome to the forums, hopefully you will take the advice I and others have offered, the replies may seem harsh but better to find out now rather than after you have spent lots of money on wrongly graded possibly way overpriced coins.

Excellent post!

I agree with the others....it's not even close to being uncirculated.  

It's an XF 40, at best, and may have been retoned.  

Eagle's breast and hair above Liberty's ear are well worn.  

I certainly hope you didn't pay a mint state price for it!  :p

If you did; I would march back there ASAP and attempt to get a full refund!!!  

GOOD LUCK!!!!

6 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Hi, welcome to the Forum.

Nice coin but as Just Bob says, not uncirculated. Look at the wear to the hair above the ear. There is no detail left. Also I wouldn't class it as "rare" as there were over 3.2 million minted. Maybe semi-rare. I don't see anywhere on the 2x2 that the seller says it is uncirculated, where did you purchase it and if you don't mind, how much did you pay for it? Not being nosey, we are just trying to help you.

I paid 140 stated that it was uncirculated and I'm gonna put a pic up of the rim as well a microscope pic again for the others and I appreciate all comments and ty for your opinion I also have like 5 more in different conditions but if there is anyone into coins as well I would love to have a meet up in south Plainfield new Jersey I'm looking for someone to document ment my coins on paper for my collection n etc willing to pay as well  i have serious medical issues and can not use my hand due to carpal tunnel as well other issue please text 1 732 902 1689 ty my name is robert jacques I'd appreciate coin friends 

Microscope and rim pictures aren't necessary, this is very clearly a circulated coin. If the seller claimed it is unc, they are a liar, plain and simple.

A truly uncirculated 1884-s $1 is a 5 figure coin. You won't find one raw on ebay or elsewhere for $140, it just isn't going to happen.

The 1884 s is kind of a weird coin. It is common in circulated examples, but rare in truly uncirculated examples.  The money spread between high circulated and low uncirculated grades is quite wide.

Also, this is what the obverse of your coin would look like if it was truly uncirculated.  Quite a difference from your coin.

Coin413(1).jpg.b684a57b44fd913c4d38965cc1e21db7.jpg

Yeah that's a XF coin

I found the seller, He has everything stated as rare and UNC :/

He has a return policy but ebay will return it for you.

Click the button to the right of your purchased page

RETURN and it will ask you why - you click  "Not as described" and Ebay will automatically

accept.  You will not have to pay for return shipping either as Ebay will have a label for you to print

for the return package. Try to find the original 2x2 to put it back into 

Sorry this happened but you need to learn a little more about grading 

take care Mike