• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 Eisenhower Dollar Missing Side Of The Moon?

13 posts in this topic

Interesting.  I've looked at a lot of these over the past year but hadn't noticed any like that.  I'd wager it's from an overpolished die rather than grease filled.  At least in regard to the wood frame as it's a low relief section of the design.  I'll have to check the ones I have at home to see if I can confirm a similar.

I'm not seeing the loss of the moon part referenced though.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Die clashing, with some resultant loss of relief in the bell from attempts to polish out the damaged area.

Here is a new picture of the area where part of the moon is missing. If you take a look at the texture of the surface you can tell if this area was polished or not. I  already did some research in other websites....and there is not reference about the missing part of the moon...many people found this as an interesting topic. But  I dont know yet if I need to get a certificate for this or not.

20191004_191333.jpg

Edited by lainmejia

Oh, I see what you mean regarding the moon's curvature being polished away.  There's a few varieties of interest related to overpolishing.  2 Feathers varieties in the Buffalo Nickel series.  The "No FG" years for Kennedy half dollars.  So on and so forth.  I wouldn't expect NGC to attribute this on the label until there's a market for it, or at the least, a Fivaz-Stanton reference number (which there may be, I don't have a copy of Volume 2 of the Cherrypickers' Guide).  

I'm interested now.  Generally there's no reason to get excited over a Denver Type II reverse but this could add an additional level.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

This is not a difference in the die as made. It is simply a die state in which polishing of the die face has eradicated some shallow design elements. It's similar to a 2-feathers Buffalo Nickels or the Missing AW on some Walking Liberty Halves.

While NGC does label the two examples cited, this new one doesn't seem quite as appealing. If it catches on with the hobby, then NGC would reconsider.

I would think hardcore Ike collectors would be interested. The missing corner of the moon appears to be just as evident as something like the Canada Arnprior and short water lines dollar varieties, which command premiums and are also the result of die polishing. Have you searched places like Heritage for other examples?

...or is the missing part of the moon "missing" only because we can never see the moon's far side from earth?

:)

On 10/25/2019 at 12:32 PM, RWB said:

..or is the missing part of the moon "missing" only because we can never see the moon's far side from earth?

You may have a point, the moon as shown on the coin does not appear to be the near side.