• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 d rolled uncirculated nickels possibly mint error
1 1

13 posts in this topic

So, just came from the bank today and came across three rolls of 2018 d nickels. One looks like with obverse on each end. And the other two has reverse on each end. These where pulled out of a 2018 nickel box. I looked at them while they were handed to me, and I wasn't saying  much. Just thought this could be an mint error. When found or say purchase like that, is that something to hold on to or safe to open. Or is there value to that. Idk, first one I came across. 

20191009_144435.jpg

What would be the mint error?

Personally, not worth holding onto.  Open them.  Pull aside anything 67 or 68 condition potentially 68 with 6 Full Steps.  Spend the rest.

Edited by CRAWTOMATIC
checked the census; don't usually deal with nickels this modern

9 minutes ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

What would be the mint error?

Personally, not worth holding onto.  Open them.  Pull aside anything 67 or 68 condition potentially 68 with 6 Full Steps.  Spend the rest.

O, I was told months ago that when you find a roll of nickels that have obverse on both ends of the same date , that it's a mint package error. Because when they roll them  through the mint it supposed to be obverse on one end and reverse on the other. I need to stop listening to people lol. Thanks, I'll be looking for 67 , 68

The US mint does not roll coins. They ship them out in bags. The rolling is done by the banks, or by the companies who transport coins, such as Loomis, etc.

35 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

The US mint does not roll coins. They ship them out in bags. The rolling is done by the banks, or by the companies who transport coins, such as Loomis, etc.

See how you get mislead out here. That's why I strictly stay on here and ask questions. You guy's are really cool and inspirational to us that are beginners. Thanks Bob 

2 minutes ago, Hinkle said:

See how you get mislead out here. That's why I strictly stay on here and ask questions. You guy's are really cool and inspirational to us that are beginners. Thanks Bob 

I mean true inspirational. I'm thinking faster than what I'm typing. Lol

No prob, Hinkle.  Found a disclaimer on the US Mint website as well just in case needed.  A friend and I always asked for "2 pages and a bibliography" whenever we heard a statement of dubious claim so I still seek out supporting documentation.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/on/demandware.store/Sites-USM-Site/default/Product-Variation?pid=MASTER_NA2019RBB&dwvar_MASTER__NA2019RBB_detailsNA2019RBB=19NA&source=detail&Quantity=1

Last line of the Description section:

"Please Note: United States Mint coins are rolled by an automated machine process and not by hand. We cannot guarantee that the obverse (heads) or reverse of a coin will be at either end of a coin roll."

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Well, how about that. I was not aware of the mint selling coins in rolls. I need to do more research before I post.

But that is just some not all denominations.  They don't sell Cents, Nickels, Dimes. They only sell Quarters, Half Dollars and Dollars. 

3 minutes ago, Dukemnm said:

But that is just some not all denominations.  They don't sell Cents, Nickels, Dimes. They only sell Quarters, Half Dollars and Dollars. 

Depends on the year and design.  For the 2009 Lincoln Cents they did sell them in commemorative wrapper rolls.

https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Formative-Years-Wrapped-Sealed/dp/B01LVZKO27

I believe they may have done the same for the Jefferson reverses that year.