• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Planchet experts here?

3 posts in this topic

I posted this ats already and here I am. 

I was going thru a bag of coin star rejects my wife brought home a couple months ago. Found this, what I think is a copper planchet. I'm sorry, but my scale is out in the shop right now but I will weigh it tomorrow. Its a tad thinner than a regular cent and just a tad smaller. I'm wondering if it just might be a worn cent planchet or possible a foreign planchet. I will get more info tomorrow when I get my calipers and scale out.

Planchet.jpg

Planchet2.jpg

Trying to compare thickness of a planchet with a struck coin won't tell you much because the thickness of the coin is a function of the strength of the strike, and you would expect the thickness of the coin, as measured at the rim, to be thicker than the planchet.  So the planchet being thinner would be normal.  As to the diameter, the planchet  after having the edge upset WOULD be smaller in diameter than the finished coin.  This allows the planchet to drop easily into the coining chamber, and the planchet expands outward during the striking to the finished size as set by the diameter of the hole in the collar.

So I'm thinking US Cent? I see your logic there Condor. I ran and got my scale. It fluctuated from 2.48 - 2.49g and then settled in at 2.5g. So it seems I probably have a copper plated zinc planchet. Not worth much but I thought it was a pretty cool find. 

Edited by bsshog40