• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clueless 1943

16 posts in this topic

Not sure what's going on here with the 1943 Lincoln Cent I had 3 of the 4 however as I was sitting here going through1of my mason jars& I came across this 1943 that appears to be copper but laminated with this steel colored which has began to deteriorate exposing a beautiful copper 1943 which has left me clueless because I've seen alot of steel 43s but never one as the one I found tonight so if someone whom has experience regarding what has left me clueless I would definitely appreciate the information 

20191007_024936.jpg

On 10/7/2019 at 7:32 AM, Greenstang said:

Could you take a closeup of both sides of the 1943 only. Might be the other way around, the copper coating is coming of the steel core.

20191008_143028.jpg

Thanks for the new pictures.

Looks to me like the copper is falling off of a zinc coated steel cent. At one time you could send your 43 steel cent in to a company that would copper plate it for you      (I think it was $2.00). This is possibly one of those that the copper plating is starting to fall off of. This is the only reasonable explanation I can think of.

2 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

This is the only reasonable explanation I can think of.

Don't you think you're unreasonably limiting yourself to reasonable explanations? :roflmao: After all, this is our resident 1964 SMS coin finder we're dealing with here, you know. :insane:

4 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Thanks for the new pictures.

Looks to me like the copper is falling off of a zinc coated steel cent. At one time you could send your 43 steel cent in to a company that would copper plate it for you      (I think it was $2.00). This is possibly one of those that the copper plating is starting to fall off of. This is the only reasonable explanation I can think of.

Thank you Greenstang I appreciate your input 

11 hours ago, Conder101 said:

You haven't mentioned whether or not is magnetic.

Actually I have literally just checked it and it is so is it a lamination error steel cent? Also I'm not sure why it would have a notch edging 

40 minutes ago, Mason254 said:

Actually I have literally just checked it and it is so is it a lamination error steel cent? Also I'm not sure why it would have a notch edging 

It is an ordinary steel cent that was plated after leaving the mint (damage) and that copper plating is now flaking off. Numismatic value: below zero. Conversation and/or exhibiting value: subjective but may be considerable.

is it a lamination error steel cent?

It would have to be solid copper or steel to have a lamination. As VKurtB and I have both explained, it is copper plating that is flaking off  of a steel cent