• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Washington Quarter Registry Set Question
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Im curious why the main Washington quarter registry set includes two varieties in it?  Why not move the two 1950 OMMs (S/D, D/S) into a newly created variety set and include a few more coins?  There are lots of major DDO/DDR/RPM/OMM that could be included. None of the other series from that era, from cents to halves include varieties in the main set and each has a separate variety set as an option.

The link to the main set composition is below...

NGC Washington Quarter Set Composition

Edited by erwindoc

Great point @erwindoc!

NGC is not consistent with this concept at all.  Look at the CC Morgan S$1 set.  Why include two rarities?  Why not have separate sets: one with rarities and one without? 

Agree with you 100%. But their response has typically been "that is better suited for a custom set" without providing any rationale.

• Administrator
On 10/5/2019 at 9:06 AM, erwindoc said:

Im curious why the main Washington quarter registry set includes two varieties in it?  Why not move the two 1950 OMMs (S/D, D/S) into a newly created variety set and include a few more coins?  There are lots of major DDO/DDR/RPM/OMM that could be included. None of the other series from that era, from cents to halves include varieties in the main set and each has a separate variety set as an option.

The link to the main set composition is below...

NGC Washington Quarter Set Composition

Thank you for the request, erwindoc.

Our senior numismatic team feels that the Washington quarters have sufficient representation in the competitive NGC Registry. You may create a Custom NGC Registry Set, if you wish. Please let us know when we may assist in the future.

• Administrator
On 10/5/2019 at 11:17 AM, BlakeEik said:

Great point @erwindoc!

NGC is not consistent with this concept at all.  Look at the CC Morgan S$1 set.  Why include two rarities?  Why not have separate sets: one with rarities and one without? 

Agree with you 100%. But their response has typically been "that is better suited for a custom set" without providing any rationale.

Thanks for the inquiry, BlakeEik.

NGC Registry competitive Set structure is determined by our senior team and is periodically reviewed. We currently have 26 competitive NGC Registry sets for Morgan Dollars to offer many options for various collecting styles. Please let us know when we may assist in the future.

10 hours ago, Ali E. said:

Our senior numismatic team feels that the Washington quarters have sufficient representation in the competitive NGC Registry. You may create a Custom NGC Registry Set, if you wish. Please let us know when we may assist in the future.

I am actually arguing the point that the varieties don't need to be in there currently, but I will respect the decision of your senior numismatic team.  

• Administrator
16 hours ago, erwindoc said:

I am actually arguing the point that the varieties don't need to be in there currently, but I will respect the decision of your senior numismatic team.  

Thank you, erwindoc.

According to our senior team, the S/D and D/S varieties are significant enough to justify separate slots. We also have 119 and 146 NGC-graded, respectively. Please let us know when we may assist in the future.

Edited by Ali E.

I also agree that the 1950 OMMs (S/D, D/S) really do not fit in the Complete Washington Quarter set and should be moved to a new variety set.  Really a complete Washington Quarter Set should include the 1934 Light, Medium, Heavy Mottos and the 1934-D Medium and Heavy Motto quarters and not the 1950 varieties. See https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/670/.

On 10/7/2019 at 8:33 AM, Ali E. said:

I do not think that the feedback you are getting is due to a lack of representation.  The suggestions are due to the way they are represented.  Some collectors may collect varieties, but many do not and don't want to see those empty, irrelevant holes in their sets.  And if they do, they would like to see more represented in the registry.  Giving a single hybrid option is unusual, awkward, and wonky.  I think most collectors would much prefer an approach like the way you represented Walking Liberty half dollars (e.g. circulation issues, and circulation issues (with varieties)). NGC got that one right!   Custom sets are more appropriate for hybrid sets, not vice-versa.   

I already understand that there is little chance of seeing any change here, so I am not expecting one. I'm just offering another opinion in support of seeing a clean, logical, and consistent registry to give your customers a pleasing experience, including me.