• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it worthy :)

9 posts in this topic

I have many error coins that I want to see if they are worthy of sending in to be certified or graded. Any suggestions are welcomed. I don’t want to flood this forum with all my possibilities, till I know more, but here are two. The dime has a D missing, and the penny has lines through the shield.

183AFB6F-6EC9-47A9-8D86-B85F9915A70D.jpeg

58B6EAEA-8CE7-40D3-A11D-AC8B9071BD52.jpeg

3CF10A63-EEB7-43EF-BD68-3DBCB801E826.jpeg

96E4E298-3926-41BD-A6AE-E0D9B0336315.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum-

Unless it s a major error, it is not worth sending out to be graded as the cost would be more than the coin is worth.

From what I can see, your dime is a partially grease filled die and the cent appears to be a scratched die. Both would be considered minor errors and not worth getting certified.

38 minutes ago, Breezy66 said:

Thank you. You already saved me from spending too much. 😊

Now if we could both just reach hundreds or thousands of people who are having coins graded that should not be...

I think part of the problem is that "newbies" either read or see on YouTube that certain error coins are worth big money and are under the impression that all error coins are valuable without researching them. I remember reading on one of the other Forums, that a new collector found a minor DD and when told that it was only worth a couple of bucks, said "is that all" and quite saying that it wasn't worth it. I guess he was only searching errors for the money.  😯

😝

Edited by Greenstang

I get tips, so I have a ton of change saved, and have come up with my own system of filing them. I do MUCH research, and do not want to waste time and money on coins that are not worth slabbing. I will be keeping all my NEAT AND UNUSUAL errors to myself tho 😊 I bought 2X2 for them. ❤️ I will be asking you informative gentlemen more questions in the future. Thanks again.

To my mind, much of the problem is the conflation of market value with collectibility. We get a steady flow of people insisting to us that a given coin is some great, expensive rarity, no matter what evidence we offer to the contrary. We try to explain where they are mistaken. Now and then they even listen. What we (well, nearly all of us) are never saying is "don't collect that." Collect the coins you like. If you enjoy putting them into flips, flips are inexpensive and easy. If it were worth $30-odd to you to have them slabbed, and you could afford it, and you understood you wouldn't recoup the $30 and didn't care, who's to judge?

Whether they are the coins someone else would collect is beside the point. When we decouple market value and collectibility, we can collect simply because we like them, and thank the gods the other collectors exist because that gives us a market to get rid of (in some cases, identify) what we don't collect. Our club has a raffle and I recently won an Oregon $10 bill (a regular 1920s bill out of the FRB or whatever of Portland, OR). Great, but I don't collect currency. I turned around and sold it to the guy I sit with, a native Oregonian with a lifelong love of all coins, tokens, etc. relating to his home state. I had $75 to spend on something I did collect.

3 hours ago, JKK said:

To my mind, much of the problem is the conflation of market value with collectibility. We get a steady flow of people insisting to us that a given coin is some great, expensive rarity, no matter what evidence we offer to the contrary. We try to explain where they are mistaken. Now and then they even listen. What we (well, nearly all of us) are never saying is "don't collect that." Collect the coins you like. If you enjoy putting them into flips, flips are inexpensive and easy. If it were worth $30-odd to you to have them slabbed, and you could afford it, and you understood you wouldn't recoup the $30 and didn't care, who's to judge?

Whether they are the coins someone else would collect is beside the point. When we decouple market value and collectibility, we can collect simply because we like them, and thank the gods the other collectors exist because that gives us a market to get rid of (in some cases, identify) what we don't collect. Our club has a raffle and I recently won an Oregon $10 bill (a regular 1920s bill out of the FRB or whatever of Portland, OR). Great, but I don't collect currency. I turned around and sold it to the guy I sit with, a native Oregonian with a lifelong love of all coins, tokens, etc. relating to his home state. I had $75 to spend on something I did collect.

I'd like everyone who is all fired up about getting coins graded to answer the question, "Why would you want this graded?" If they have a plausible answer, then fine. I have gotten coins graded that "aren't worth it" occasionally, but I have a reason in mind, sometimes having to do with a particular exhibit and a consistent look. But I ALWAYS have a reason. Too many do not. FAR less than 1% of my collection is graded.

On a day in and day out basis, I use 2x2 manila envelopes (old copper), stapled 2x2's (routine nickel and silver), 2x2 Saflips (BU "keepers"), Eagle-brand 2x2's (REALLY nice BU coins), Original Government Packaging (most new pieces), and I have about 300 slabs, each of which is in one for a specific reason.

Heck, now I even have one of those fancy shmancy Italian-made briefcases with velvet-lined square spaced trays in it. So … "continental". I feel I need to put on a random European accent just to carry it.

Edited by VKurtB