• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1883 Morgan - need help Picture Grade -

16 posts in this topic

It's a shame these pics are a bit blurry, because this just might be a really high grade piece. It's got just a bit too much blur to see what's going on there on that cheek, neck and eagle breast feathers. Those fields look fantastic.

Edited by VKurtB

13 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

It's a shame these pics are a bit blurry, because this just might be a really high grade piece. It's got just a bit too much blur to see what's going on there on that cheek, neck and eagle breast feathers. Those fields look fantastic.

How about I upload better ones Later Today. I should have known better that to upload blurry pics.

I as able to get my reverse proof Innovation Dollars, @VKurtB  Just have to send it in. I have other items to send in like the 1972 Lincoln S/S the W dime. and A full Step 1943 Nickel.  I think I might all 6 maybe. 

If it weren't for what I see along the rim, my guess would be 64-65. I don't know whether the edge "loss" (the same thing that I think jgrinz is talking about) is just a photo/shadow/obscuring effect, or if the reverse really shows two clip-like metal losses at 2:00 and 3:00. I hope the former because it's not seen in the initial blurry pics. If the latter, you're probably hosed from a grading standpoint. If it's just an effect, then the item jumping out to me a little bit is an obverse edge ding at 8:00. I am not sure what they'd make of that, or of the abrasion on the obverse edge at 5:00. Either of those could also be what jgrinz means and would be cause for at least some concern.

11 hours ago, JKK said:

is just a photo/shadow/obscuring effect,

That is all that is, a shadow. 

11 hours ago, JKK said:

a little bit is an obverse edge ding at 8:00. I am not sure what they'd make of that, or of the abrasion on the obverse edge at 5:00. Either of those

that is one of my concerns, I'll take another look at the abrasion at 5. 

Thank you bott @JKK @jgrinz

I wonder if @DWLange would be able to comment. Just wondering if it is worth the trouble of sending it in. 

From a money standpoint, only if you thought it might get a special designation. CW mag said $80 for a 64. We all know that those numbers tend to be artificially high, so $60 might be more realistic--pretty low relative to slabbing cost, especially when you might get a details grade or body bag (or whatever they call it now when they find a reason not to slab or grade). Doesn't mean it isn't a nice coin, just that demand isn't that high in that grade.

I love the fields, but I'm not in love with the cheek, neck, or eagle breast feathers. 64, IMO.

15 hours ago, JKK said:

body bag (or whatever they call it now when they find a reason not to slab or grade)

I don't  like that term. Its scary. Lol

So, because of the ding at 8, it might get stuffed in a body bag? It is in my album right now.  Maybe i'll keep it there. I'm scared to send it in and get disappointed. :)

7 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I love the fields, but I'm not in love with the cheek, neck, or eagle breast feathers. 64, IMO.

What is it about the breast that you don't  like? I can se the cheek area, around the ear also. Where it looks like it might  have been rubbed. Is it the same thing  at the eagle's breast area? 

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Dukemnm said:

I don't  like that term. Its scary. Lol

So, because of the ding at 8, it might get stuffed in a body bag? It is in my album right now.  Maybe i'll keep it there. I'm scared to send it in and get disappointed. :)

I don't know. What I know about grading services is that even authentic coins can end up body-bagged. Whether that would be the case here, I can't say. The grading services' logic is outside my ken and I don't normally speculate except to warn someone of the possibility.

5 hours ago, JKK said:

The grading services' logic is outside my ken and I don't normally speculate except to warn someone of the possibility.

I understand, if I do decide to send it in it won't a surprise if it does. I really appreciate your input @JKK thank you.