• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The oddballs: Coins, medals, tokens, etc.

9 posts in this topic

We all have that odd coin, token, or medal that doesn't really seem to fit with the rest and yet we like it all the same. The type of piece(s) that appeal to you in a way that is unique to that item. For me, the coins in question are part of a 1957 Jersey proof set. The most distinguishing factor about these coins is that they depict a time in history that is nearly one and half centuries after the era of my primary collection. Furthermore, they are rainbow toned, have little connection to me personally, and are so far removed from everything else I collect. Although I probably wouldn't buy another example again, I have no regrets about this addition to my collection. 

So what kind of oddball pieces are in your collection? 

915839867_1957JerseyProofset.thumb.jpg.e81b7064a363cdb7334badc44edec8c8.jpg

Edited by coinsandmedals
Spelling

Unfortunately (?) whenever I buy a piece that catches my eye outside of my main areas of interest, the piece strangely begins to breed. My icon is a Jean Dassier damascened medal of Elizabeth I. I bought it about three years ago because I thought it was beautifully made. Once I learned that it was part of a set made c1731 I had to have the whole set, which in turn led me to collect all the medals engraved by Dassier and his sons. I now have about 250 medals. It's a sort of sickness, the result of which I have no oddball examples to share as nothing remains odd for long. I likely need professional help. Very nice proof set BTW, beautiful toning. 

47 minutes ago, LINCOLNMAN said:

Unfortunately (?) whenever I buy a piece that catches my eye outside of my main areas of interest, the piece strangely begins to breed. My icon is a Jean Dassier damascened medal of Elizabeth I. I bought it about three years ago because I thought it was beautifully made. Once I learned that it was part of a set made c1731 I had to have the whole set, which in turn led me to collect all the medals engraved by Dassier and his sons. I now have about 250 medals. It's a sort of sickness, the result of which I have no oddball examples to share as nothing remains odd for long. I likely need professional help. Very nice proof set BTW, beautiful toning. 

Very cool! My entire Soho collection started somewhat like this, so I can completely relate. Your Dassier is essentially my Jean-Pierre Droz. The whole set came together when I purchased my first pattern halfpenny engraved by Droz. I researched the coin a bit, and it directed me to the history of the Soho Mint, which I found fascinating. Now my entire collection is mostly focused around the English and Irish coins produced at the Soho Mint. 

Many many years ago there was a local coin shop that had a bid board, the board would be populated on Mon and the auction/bid board close was Thurs night if I recall correct.  It was a very popular event and would draw 40+ on most close nights and I bought many inexpensive items that were mostly US coins from the thirtys to the seventies on average.  The owner did also have a drawing of sorts for a giveaway each night, usually an inexpensive silver round or something along those lines.  I won the giveaway a few times and received a few Canadian dollars,1966 and 1965 both .800 silver.  A couple of Mexican dollar sized coins that are .720 silver, and one 50 Francs coin which I'm guessing is also silver but not sure of the fineness.  Those are my oddball coins still have them sitting in a drawer collecting dust, perhaps there will be a big run on silver again and I'll cash them out.

A large part of my collection is unusual items, like this uniface cardboard token from a Vicksburg ice house, payable in ice. I guess it doesn't really qualify as oddball, since it fits quite well with much of the rest of my collection.

100_1632 (2).JPG

That is a good reason to have a few oddballs in your collection Coinbuf. I want to join a local coin club, but justifying the commute is hard; however, it may be worth if they do fun stuff like this. 

Bob, I imagine you have a very eclectic collection. About 90% of the stuff you have shared is something I have never come across before. The ice card is definitely among that number. Although this makes sense because I assume not many survived since they were made of cardboard.  

Most of my collections are off the beaten path but lately I have been collecting Spiel and California Counter tokens.

I never .....or should I say do not like anything that has been holed for suspension or has been made for suspension but

these  I could not pass up.

spread eagle counter with watch fob copy.jpg

Radient eagle alumium.jpg

$500 Radiant Eagle with fob copy.jpg

info on radiant eagles.png

Edited by coinsarefun
To include a page

5 hours ago, coinsarefun said:

Most of my collections are off the beaten path but lately I have been collecting Spiel and California Counter tokens.

I never .....or should I say do not like anything that has been holed for suspension or has been made for suspension but

these  I could not pass up.

Those are some very cool counters!  I have never seen any quite like that.

And, it is nice to see you posting over here again.

I have a few odd balls but my bigger issue is just a bunch of now mostly abandoned projects that I started ealry on but just couldn't or wouldn't keep up with.