• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fun Show

16 posts in this topic

I have never been, but I would love to go. The trip would cut too far into my budget, so I would not be able to buy anything. Window shopping would be fun, but it would be unfair of me to crowd a table if I am unable to make a purchase. Maybe I will make the journey after I finish up my Ph.D. Of course, I can only imagine what my wife will say if I tell her I am traveling to Orlando for a coin show. hm

8 hours ago, ldhair said:

I'm really looking forward to the show. Has NGC said anything about having a lunch or an evening get together?

Last year was fun. Being able to walk around and chat with the NGC folks was great. Who plans to be there?

I will be there and exhibiting there - the whole four days.

I've been to all of the big ones except for Long Beach and FUN.

I'd enjoy going to the NGC Luncheon at FUN and meeting all my friends, fellow participants, administrators and executives.

Sometime; I'm sure I'll go but just not this year.

Edited by Walkerfan

FUN JANUARY 5TH - 8TH, 2023:  The 68th Florida United Numismatists Convention is less than 3 months away !

I know a few people are going....last time these FUN threads were really active was right before FUN 2020, the first and last FUN show I attended, just before Covid hit.

I'm hoping to attend but not 100% sure myself.  I thought I'd bump this sucker so we can gauge who is attending and coordinate our stays so we are in the same area/hotels to make it easy to meet away from the show itself.  I believe the Rosen Centre is right across from where the show is being held (not sure of any other close hotels, I'm gonna research it).

Hopefully, whoever attends amongst us can meet up.  I know if I can get there that'll be my main reason for going as unlike FUN 2020 I won't be bringing a nice stash of cash. xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 10/11/2022 at 7:51 AM, RWB said:

Have they scheduled the hurricane and flooding yet? Great opportunity to pick up some nice used boat parts.

Thinking of coming ?  You should bring some of your books and either join a table or just sell them outside and sign 'em.  Probably find some hidden demand especially from those who may not be aware of them or would be more likely to buy direct from the author.  Plus, everybody has $$$. xD

My astronomy club had a famous national (but local) astronomer/physicist who we wanted to speak for years....could never get him to come even though he was based in NYC most of the year....then about 15 yeas ago he just kinda invites himself to the event....we couldn't figure out why he was so gung-ho to talk...we didn't have the main lecture rooom available, it was booked....no problem he said....he'll talk in the gymnasium area....we wanted to delay him a year and give him prime billing but we didn't want to upset him...turns out he had a book out that year....brought about 200 of them and made a few thousand bucks that day.  (thumbsu

At least he came to the dinner that night ! xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 9/25/2019 at 1:08 PM, coinsandmedals said:

I can only imagine what my wife will say if I tell her I am traveling to Orlando for a coin show. hm

"Not as long as I have anything to say about it... DOCTOR!"  :makepoint:  :roflmao:

On 10/11/2022 at 12:20 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Thinking of coming ?  You should bring some of your books and either join a table or just sell them outside and sign 'em.

I've considered this several times and with varying rationales. There was never anything close to breaking even....expenses are too high. Plus, my distributor has all the books, and the rights to distributing them.

On 10/11/2022 at 7:48 PM, RWB said:

I've considered this several times and with varying rationales. There was never anything close to breaking even....expenses are too high. Plus, my distributor has all the books, and the rights to distributing them.

I would have to believe they wouldn't object to you marketing them 3 years after publication, but that's just me.

Don't think of it as a profit-and-loss thing.  Think of it as like visiting the Grand Canyon....something you should experience at least once !! xD

Sure wish you and FUN could arrange a talk on Double Eagles, Hoards, or even humourous stories and developments with some of the more popular citations involving Saints/Double Eagles. :(

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Cool to see this old thread @GoldFinger1969

NGC may setup something for folks to get together. I missed the past two FUN shows. I'm already booked for this one.

Who plans to come? Dealers, please give us a table #.

On 10/12/2022 at 8:31 AM, ldhair said:

Cool to see this old thread @GoldFinger1969

NGC may setup something for folks to get together. I missed the past two FUN shows. I'm already booked for this one.  Who plans to come? Dealers, please give us a table #.

Thanks LD....the main thing I learned is it is SO EASY to chit-chat and hang out when everybody who wants to is in th e same hotel.  That's something I want anybody reading this thread to know.

Last time, to save $$$, I was about 3/4 mile up the road and it meant much tougher to travel to the hotel(s) where you and others stayed at.  If I can go this year I'll ante up and stay at the place closest to the Convention Center (which also required special bus services to reach).  The Rosen Centre apparently will check all the boxes this year.

The one good thing about the place I stayed at was they had a good Thai restaurant literally across the street ! xD

I've done many presentations for shows and clubs, but I'm not about to insinuate myself into the sponsor's plans. I proposed a casual authors' discussion table to F.U.N. and Central States; neither were interested unless I was paying full rate for a table. That is, the proposed concept was not of interest to them.

Beyond presentation's info or talking with collectors, the Florida and similar coin bourse events are not places to collect data, and add to the store of knowledge. (It's a lot like going to a big car show looking for a specific antique radio.)