• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Supplies on a budget

7 posts in this topic

I'm interested in the plastic coin pages, and need to be as thrifty as possible, but there seems to be some plastics that are bad for coins.  Any suggestions where the best prices for supplies? 

3 minutes ago, Captn said:

I'm interested in the plastic coin pages, and need to be as thrifty as possible, but there seems to be some plastics that are bad for coins.  Any suggestions where the best prices for supplies? 

I would see if I could build a friendly relationship with your local dealer (some of them are basically personality-disordered and/or are Aspies and it's not plausible, but try). Dealers take in *spoon*tons of old binders full of old plastic album pages. If you secure your coins in flips, it won't matter much what material the old pages are made of. If your dealer liked you, and you asked him to save you some of the old pages, he might be willing to do so, especially if you bought something (anything) every time you came in. Dealers respect regulars, even small-spending regulars. Most know that small collectors can evolve into big collectors.

What I would do is take them all off the dealer's hands (he would normally throw most of them away), then chuck the rattiest ones and use the better ones. As for inexpensive supplies, I don't think there's a cheaper way than cardboard flips. Those I would buy or obtain new, because older flips can contain materials detrimental to coins.

1 hour ago, Captn said:

Thank you, I'm trying to find a dealer I'm comfortable with now, and I appreciate your help.

Some of my favorite local dealers don't have actual storefronts.  They either have a booth/space in an Antique mall or a rental space in an indoor flea market/bazaar/mercado whatever name it goes by in your regional space.

20 hours ago, Just Bob said:

For the flips or 2x2s, I like Wizard Coin Supply. (Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the company - financial or otherwise).

https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/

And, JKK is right. Sometimes you can luck up and find those plastic pages by the box full.

Wizard is a great company, they donated 120 one-a-year 1909-2009 Lincoln Folders to the Pennsylvania Association of Numismatics for their KidZone at cost.  Saving us well over $200.  I personally buy quite a few supplies from them.