• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1996 Quarter missing clad?

7 posts in this topic

I see now how people say it's hard to capture color in pictures, but I did my best.

The coin on the left is a normal 1996D quarter, the middle one, though darkened, is copper colored  on both sides (and the side), while the right one is one of a few that are blackened for unknown reasons - dirty or whatever.

My question is on the middle one - definitely the color of a penny in the worn spots.  Does anyone think this is a missing clad coin and is it good or not good to clean it with some polish to see what happens?  There's my noob question.

Thanks in advance.

1. Obverse (normal quarter, question coin, random blackened quarter)

2. Reverse (same three)

3. Side (question coin, normal quarter)   *and I think the apparent thickness difference is just the image

20190924_073906.jpg

20190924_073916.jpg

20190924_074400.jpg

Welcome to the Forum-

Looks like environmental damage of some sort. You can still see some nickel showing through on the high spots. Sometimes by rubbing the coin, you can get the nickel to show through.

On 9/24/2019 at 8:07 AM, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the Forum-

Looks like environmental damage of some sort. You can still see some nickel showing through on the high spots. Sometimes by rubbing the coin, you can get the nickel to show through.

I think that's the picture not being good.  I'm adding another one to show that everything is copper colored...nothing shows nickel - even the big scratch on the top of the head.  The edge picture above also shows it somewhat. 

20190928_021334.jpg

A missing clad quarter will have a deep copper colour and will show signs of a weak strike. Yours looks fully struck. If you still believe yours is missing clad, then by all means send it in to be certified. That will be the best way to determine its authenticity.

No clad quarter.jpg

1 hour ago, ZudenSterne said:

Great, thank you.  Should I clean it myself first to remove the dark finish?

Your coin has no collectible value, since it is stained/damaged, and is not missing a clad layer. I think it would be a waste of time and money to have it graded/authenticated. Of course, it is yours to do with as you please.

There are rare instances where a coin needs to be conserved, to remove a harmful substance, but, as a general rule, you should NEVER clean your collectable coins. It ruins the value, and, usually ruins the look.