• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-prong holder

4 posts in this topic

Is it possible to get a coin re-slabbed into a holder without the prongs (ie the old style)?  I have a very rare coin and the design feature that is the distinguishing feature happens to fall right where the prong hits, partially obscuring and very much distracting from it.  The coin has nothing of interest on the rims to require visualization with the prongs.  

Here is the view of the reverse.  The fasces mark near 8 o'clock is what makes this a big deal.  The auction house I bought it from had imaged it before slabbing and whenever I think of the unlsabbed photo I get a little wistful.  It would be lovely to have that mark visible fully while still in the slab.

The coin in question

Original mintage for the total series 6000.  100 were produced with the fasces.  90 were melted.  Total pop 10.  So, seeing the fasces would be fantastic.

white rev.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC no longer has any of the non-Edge View cores. You could submit the coin for reholder service and request clearly on the form that it be rotated slightly to not obscure the fasces. NGC does this sometimes with Mint Error coins to avoid covering up a key feature of the error.

On 9/23/2019 at 10:49 AM, Star City Homer said:

Original mintage for the total series 6000.  100 were produced with the fasces.  90 were melted.  Total pop 10. 

If your collection ever goes to auction in my lifetime, I REALLY want a copy of the auction catalog(s)!

6 hours ago, DWLange said:

NGC no longer has any of the non-Edge View cores. You could submit the coin for reholder service and request clearly on the form that it be rotated slightly to not obscure the fasces. NGC does this sometimes with Mint Error coins to avoid covering up a key feature of the error.

Thank you!  I will consider it.  Rotation may hurt my OC sensibilities though.  

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

If your collection ever goes to auction in my lifetime, I REALLY want a copy of the auction catalog(s)!

I'm not sure there are enough people interested in Albanian coins to make that happen....a few would go on in a 'better auction' and the rest would get dumped in a non-impressive venue.  :D  Otherwise that would be cool except I'll probably be dead first :D :D   I'm so buried in these I will have to BE buried to let go.