• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lincoln Pennies Worth Grading?

8 posts in this topic

New to the site and collecting. Have put some pennies aside the past several months and would love to receive any input or suggestions in wether any of my coins are worth grading. I'm guessing most probably won't be but I believe a few are in exceptional condition for the years. Thanks 20190920_103408.jpg.291a23a2f1899bcc408a2a8aac9cd477.jpg

20190920_103447.jpg

20190920_113532.jpg

20190920_103240.jpg

20190920_111201.jpg

20190920_113841.jpg

Nothing worth grading, all pretty common. The wheaties are worth keeping though.

Condition has nothing to do with the year,  grading is the same for a 1920 as it is for 2000.

Edited by Greenstang

10 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Nothing worth grading, all pretty common. The wheaties are worth keeping though.

Condition has nothing to do with the year,  grading is the same for a 1920 as it is for 2000.

Thanks for the feedback. I was looking at recent NGC auction prices on a few of these pennies in my collection. There were quite a few of these pennies graded at MS67/MS67+, and MS 68 that sold for a good amount of money, and even a few with some lower MS grades fetching a few hundred dollars. I know it's probably hard just judging by my photos but is it fair to say that you believe I don't have a coin in my collection that could possibly be graded MS66 or higher?  

1 hour ago, Fireman99 said:

I know it's probably hard just judging by my photos but is it fair to say that you believe I don't have a coin in my collection that could possibly be graded MS66 or higher?  

In my opinion, no.

On 9/21/2019 at 9:44 PM, Fireman99 said:

I appreciate your honesty and opinion. This has been a great new hobby this far even though I haven't really found anything great. Hopefully one day!

Generally, in the beginning you start out by searching pocket change.  Then maybe you pickup a few rolls.  Then maybe a box.  And you'll come across coins that look exceptional.  But only in the perspective of what you've been seeing in pocket change or circulated coins.  When you make the next step to just looking at uncirculated coins a lot, and I mean a lot, it's a training exercise, then you'll see how far off from even MS65 that most pocket change is.  But the good thing about this hobby is that you can work your way up and progressively get to where you're looking at better and more valuable coins along the way.