• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do the Labels really make a difference in graded coins

6 posts in this topic

I am new to coin collecting on the grading side of things, and was wondering about the different designations that are used in the labels of coins.  If the coin is graded as a PF70, PF69 Ultra Cameo, MS69, MS70, etc what are the differences between the following designations in regards to the coin, the price associated with the coins, and the way the labels are view withiin the industry?

First day of Issue (FDI), Early releases, First Releases, signature FDI's, no label, etc?

Also is there a difference in the label used like the trolley, flag, star, brown label, or is it the owners choice to choose what they want?

Thanks in advance!

There are great coins in BOTH of the two top tier holders. 

You would be missing MAJOR opportunities, if you restricted yourself to just one service.

Crossing and cracking seems risky, expensive and unnecessary to me....Besides, I like older slabs and refuse to destroy them.  

Even more crazy would be spending large amounts on key date duplicates that may or may not be superior or even equal.  2c

Edited by Walkerfan

15 hours ago, Walkerfan said:

There are great coins in BOTH of the two top tier holders. 

You would be missing MAJOR opportunities, if you restricted yourself to just one service.

Crossing and cracking seems risky, expensive and unnecessary to me....Besides, I like older slabs and refuse to destroy them.  

Even more crazy would be spending large amounts on key date duplicates that may or may not be superior or even equal.  2c

Thank you for the response Walkerfan! 

When you mention restricting myself to just one service...are you referring to using NGC, PCGS, etc?

I'm not a registry guy, but I believe that for collectors who are, the special labels mean higher points. As it pertains to services, I like NGC first, PCGS second, old small slab ANACS third and..., well, there is nothing else. Not for me, anyway.