• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Approximate coin value

6 posts in this topic

"it's real!!!"  Are ya sure about that?  Better have someone look it over.  The 5 is odd as CRAWTOMAIC said.

Edited by Alex in PA.

Judging by your first post, I assume that this is not the first time that you have asked for an opinion on this coin, and, evidently, someone has already told you that it was a fake. They, and all of the posters in this thread, are correct. 

Here is the thing with Capped Bust Halves: they have been extensively researched, to the point that all of the dies that were used each year have been identified and numbered, and they even list which obverse die was paired with which reverse die. For example, in 1817, there were 11 obverse dies that were paired with 9 reverse dies, to create 13 different die marriages. Pictures of all of these marriages are readily available, and none of these pictures match either the obverse or reverse of your coin. So, the counterfeiters did not even copy a real 1817 half, when they made this coin.

Sorry, but your coin is a complete fabrication.

I’m curious, who would be experienced enough to post such question, yet not know how to look something up in the Red Book or other price guide themselves?

did you make this? If so I think it is a crime. Just saying...