Roger Burdette's new book

12 posts in this topic

2,162 posts

I ordered Roger Burdette's book Girl on the Silver Dollar, and it arrived today. This is the true story of Anna Williams who, reportedly, was the model for Liberty on George T. Morgan's 1878 silver dollar.

Roger clarifies this and several other matters in a thoroughly researched and beautifully illustrated book. It includes a comprehensive account of the 1918 Pittman Act that led to the destruction of 300+ million silver dollars and their eventual replacement during 1921-28.

This hard-covered book is a high quality product. I contacted Roger about ordering it directly from him (as a fellow book author I know all about eBay and PayPal fees eating into one's rewards). He informed me that the only source is Wizard Coin Supply. I highly recommend acquiring this title, and be sure to ask for a signed copy while they last.

11,876 posts

Thanks all for your nice comments! The cover looks like this. The portrait was made by Thomas Eakins and Susan McDowell in October/November 1876.

Cover 04-extended bkgd-less.jpg

Edited by RWB

14,818 posts

I got Roger's new book. I'm about halfway through it, and so far the story has been good. In typical Burdette fashion, it is meticulously researched and documented. I'll have a full review on the content when I finish. 

However, the thing that sticks out to me are the Typos. Now, Roger's books often have more than their fair share of typos, but this book is just laden with them. Nearly every page has at least one typo, and I counted 5 on a single page. I can overlook a few here and there, but this time they are pervasive to the point of being distracting. 

Roger, if you need someone to proofread your text before you publish, I'm sure there are numerous people willing to do it for free. Please, have someone proofread your next books! 

11,876 posts

I'm very concerned about the typos. The text was reviewed by multiple people, but it is still my responsibility to publish a clean text. In that respect it is clear that I failed to meet expectations. (I did not use my regular copy editor. Her rates have gotten so high that I could not justify the $5 per book price increase necessary. Evidently, I was incorrect.)

:(

11,876 posts

For those interested, here's an independent review of  "Girl on the Silver Dollar." (The review says "Charles Barber" but William was the one involved.

The Coin Analyst: Girl on the Silver Dollar and the Merging of Greco-Roman and American Visions of Liberty (https://coinweek.com/us-coins/the-coin-analyst-girl-on-the-silver-dollar-and-the-merging-of-greco-roman-and-american-visions-of-liberty/)

Edited by RWB

467 posts

Enjoyed it and do recommend it. Typos are numerous for sure but great content. As a kid I was once a TA/reader in college, and I would write on many papers "did you proofread this?"