• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1901 indian head cent

12 posts in this topic

Hello again everyone. I've got another cent piece I got at the estate sale I'm getting around to posting. This cent looks amazing, was in a 2x2 that had typed "Gem BU" on it. I dont know what cleaned coins look like so if anyone could chime in and let me know if this is worth grading ide be appreciative!

20190919_153903.jpg

I know they had a copper version and I think a brass version of this cent piece. Are the areas that look like streaks just the way the metal cooled? The reason I dont think it's been cleaned is because the streaks are inside the devices and on the fields but not on the devices. If someone cleaned it wouldn't the streaks be consistent and on the whole surface? 

Yeah, doesn't look cleaned to me based on the pics.  When the streaks you're talking about are in a sunburst fashion seen in the fields it's generally the metal flow lines.  Let me just say, a crisp Jefferson with sweet metal flow lines gets me all hot and bothered errrytime.

Overall, looks like a good coin to me.  Indian Heads isn't a series I've gotten into personally but son likes them so I've seen my fair share.

1 minute ago, Mc10139 said:

but I'm not an expert

True, especially if you really think yours and this one are close in quality. For starters, your does appear to be doctored. Second, sometimes even NGC and PCGS get things wrong and Heritage bidders get "skun". Third, if you're really trying to make judgments off of cell phone pictures, man, you are so screwed.

Cool. Let me set up my professional coin photography set and I'll post the actual pictures. And yes, they are screenshots from my cell phone because there is a size limit to uploads. My camera and eben my phone takes pics that the size is almost double the size limit allowed. But hold on a few..... ill get set up. And by pretty close I clearly ment the finish.... as the conversation was about the finish and not the grade.

Edited by Mc10139

35 minutes ago, Mc10139 said:

Cool. Let me set up my professional coin photography set and I'll post the actual pictures. And yes, they are screenshots from my cell phone because there is a size limit to uploads. My camera and eben my phone takes pics that the size is almost double the size limit allowed. But hold on a few..... ill get set up. And by pretty close I clearly ment the finish.... as the conversation was about the finish and not the grade.

So then you’re trying to tell me you don’t see the obvious wear on yours??? The indian’s cheek, the letters in ONE and CENT, the bow, the leaves? You’ve got a doctored AU coin if anything.

Oh, BTW, I agree with you about the picture limits. That’s what makes doing any analysis on here a problem from the get-go. In person, in the hand, under the correct light, with motion against said light. There’s a valid reason nobody in the business offers opinions from pictures. Do you send emails to NGC for grading?

Edited by VKurtB

The surfaces/color looks unnatural, but I don't trust images, especially computer images.  The dimpled/pitted surfaces are from excessive die wear.  I don't believe the coin is uncirculated, I do see areas of wear.