• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Counterfeit Detection: Altered 1955 Doubled Die Obverse Cent

9 posts in this topic

Newbe to the boards, Penny pitstop. 

The die marks that authenticate  the 1955 seem to be missing from the authentic coin. Do they vary at all?  What are all the other obvious marks or divits in the coin? and will they all be the same as well?

Nice article. There does seem to be a wrong word at the end of the first paragraph ->The extreme doubling seen on the reverse is unparalleled on any other US coin.

That thing was just laughable.....I think that was the most pathetic properly dated fake coin I've ever seen.  However, my favorite fake of all time was the time I saw a 2009 dated U.S. Trade Dollar.  I about wet myself over that sucker!

Edited by Mohawk

This illustrates why sites like etsy are dangerous.  The owner can rightly claim his coin, a wheatie to begin with, is ultra-rare because there are no other partial doubled-die 1955's like it.  And what caused it?  Oh, well, you know, the machine malfunctioned due to metal fatigue and was removed from service. xD

This demonstrates why hazardous websites like Etsy exist. Due to the fact that there are no other partial doubled-die 1955s like it, the owner has a valid argument for saying that his coin, a wheatie by nature, is extremely rare. And why did it happen? Oh, well, as you may know, the device had a problem owing to metal fatigue and was taken out of operation. wordle today