• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Experimental Dime Planchet

29 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Ratzie33 said:

If Mr Weinberg tells me it isn’t so I will throw up my white flag. But do not rule out the possibility.

Address:
Fred Weinberg & Co
16311 Ventura Blvd.Suite #1298
Encino, California 91436

Email: fred@fredweinberg.com
Phone: (818) 986-3733
Toll Free: (800) 338-6533

You know Andy from PCGS said I should give him a call. I have some coins that I would hope, if he had a spare moment, be open to the idea of considering for interpretation. 

Edited by Ratzie33

2 minutes ago, Ratzie33 said:

Are you Mr. Weinberg in the flesh? It would be an honor, no sarcasm intended, if you are.

No.  But if it's his opinion only that'll sway you then you should contact him.  Otherwise, posting on a public forum looking for affirmations of your hypothesis and discounting opinions that don't fit your view is pointless.

BTW, DWLange = David Lange  I'm pretty sure he knows a little something about varieties and mint errors as well.

I’m always open to opinions or arguments that are well supported. Environmental damage is a catch all. What environmental damage creates a finish like the one pictured? I’m not trying to be belligerent I’m looking for well educated opinions to discount mine so I can better learn to navigate these forums.

The coin is also exceedingly well struck with a funny rounded off rim around the edge unlike its counterpart you see to the left which has the usual flattened edge. The whole dime has a soft feel to it.

FD8669A9-4E51-4C73-9E02-9360CA339914.jpeg

Okay I think I got it. A coin not environmentally damaged lookalike this : experimental golden Sacagawea planchet coins. 

367DF9D6-095C-4FEB-ADCF-07A4E2952532.png

Edited by Ratzie33

While environmentally damaged coins often develop an orange red or green corroded appearance from years of storage in a bank vault or being buried underground. They look like this.

6380B960-7138-4090-AEC1-EC437C1C8E0A.png

Start by using a coin minted the same year and same facility as your comparison piece.  Would still most likely be different dies used but at least a sense of similarity.  The "softer" features I would chalk up to circulation wear as it looks to be worn to me.

The 'matte' you refer to in your paste above refers to a surface 'finish', not to a coins composition. 

If your circulated dime were struck in 'matte finish', due to it's circulation, you could never tell.

The Denver mint has never struck matte finish coins.

The OP seems to have convinced only himself. It's a normal dime that is discolored.

A large proportion of new collectors think they have mad a "big find" only to later learn more and understand the range of damage and alteration that occurs in normal usage.

Don't give up looking, but be more critical of what you think you see.