• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this worth grading ? Morgan dollar

3 posts in this topic

I'll let somebody more experience with Morgans comment on whether it's worth grading but, as a rule of thumb, whenever you see superlatives hand-written all over the flip like that it's a sure sign the seller is trying to hype up the coin for more than it's worth.  Think of all the flashing neon signs and arrows pointing to a "GREAT DEAL YOU JUST CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT" kind of thing.  I know there's an eBay dealer that does this quite often but I haven't paid attention lately.

Let the coin do the talking and not the seller's comments.

Is it cleaned? Yes, clearly so. It will come back as a Details graded coin. Where do I see it? The telltale areas around the stars and the letters. There is a difference is brightness between those areas immediately adjacent to the letters and stars, versus the field areas more remote from them. Nice tougher date, but it is a "problem coin".

Edited by VKurtB