• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Milkspoting and grading effects

10 posts in this topic

I have recently started upgrading my ASE collection to proof and MS 70. One of my purchases has a tiny speck on it  . It is a graded proof 70 coin by NGC , my question is, does milk spots change the grade of a coin if it occurs after the grade has been determined?

This will have serious ramifications if it indeed does lower an existing grade! 

What would be the purpose of collecting ms or proof 70 coins if after a period of time they are rendered worthless because of the minting process?

Answer to your questions is Yes it can change the grade, and yes it can occur after the coin has been graded and slabbed.  And for an additional kick in the teeth if they do occur after slabbing and lower the grade, that is NOT covered under the grading guarantees.

What is the purpose?  Good question  Especially since 69's look everybit as good (personal opinion) and cost a fraction of that of the 70's, and if they go bad you haven't lost near as much.

Charlie has raised a serious question. What ever WAS the purpose of collecting MS or PF 70 coins, ESPECIALLY ASE's? I submit to him that there never has been and never will be any purpose to it. They're all just bullion when you go to sell them, and on that I can make a solemn promise.

I don't get what's going on with milkspotting. I've never gotten any that happen after I get them. Not even one.

both very valid comments. I have allways just collected ms 69 coins solely for the costs. Greed I would say drives me to buy the 70's. The resale value on these coins is ridiculous. All for not tho cause I can never sell my coins! 

2 hours ago, charlie 63 said:

The resale value on these coins is ridiculous.

Where? Yes, I also see big retail markups on these, but you'll never get that value back out of them. There are too many 70's out there and no dealers will want to pay YOU any premium for a 70. MS/PF70 coins are the theft that keeps on stealing from you, unless you buy them raw and get them slabbed and get 70's.

Put another way, the buy/sell spread on 70 graded ASE's is an obscenity wrapped in a con.

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/16/2019 at 3:49 PM, charlie 63 said:

Greed I would say drives me to buy the 70's. The resale value on these coins is ridiculous.

Resale value may be ridiculous (if you can get it), but if it turns in the holder, losses can be huge.  It may be a race to see which increases faster resale values or losses.

On 9/16/2019 at 9:52 AM, VKurtB said:

What ever WAS the purpose of collecting MS or PF 70 coins, ESPECIALLY ASE's? I submit

I'm in the 69 camp or less if a grade if the coin has outstanding attributes or a deep, as intended strike...maybe even heavy luster on s lower grade over a 70....

However, the connoisseur or Registry owner may argue different. In the end is it about $$$$ or Prestige.....bragging rights....?

I personally have seen certain year eagles, like 1997....tough year for a perfect 70....many of the Gold Bullion Coins in Smaller denomination are like that also...(early 90's)....

5 hours ago, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

I'm in the 69 camp or less if a grade if the coin has outstanding attributes or a deep, as intended strike...maybe even heavy luster on s lower grade over a 70....

However, the connoisseur or Registry owner may argue different. In the end is it about $$$$ or Prestige.....bragging rights....?

I personally have seen certain year eagles, like 1997....tough year for a perfect 70....many of the Gold Bullion Coins in Smaller denomination are like that also...(early 90's)....

Darn! I keep forgetting the whole Registry angle, probably because the entire concept makes me wanna barf.

10 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Darn! I keep forgetting the whole Registry angle, probably because the entire concept makes me wanna barf.

It does me also. I start to think about a coin and my stomach gets kinda queezy and I start thinking about how to pay for it, what angle at auction, I go through other coins and then don't want to sell them so I stretch for another one. My nervousness starts because I go and do it again and I know it. When I think of all the Gold and Silver and Rare Coins I tremble. Sometimes "barf" as you described. The fact that my addiction has lead to personal Family concerns, yeah barf .....I'm right there with you....

I used to hoard every coin, simple change etc..separate the best looking ones but keep them all....started when I was very young.

Love of Money can be a seriously powerful thing...Good and unfortunately evil. 

mon trésor est caché......

Screenshot_20190513-135507.png