• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is There any Love for the Early Commemoratives?

11 posts in this topic

Most know I'm writing a book around the series. Yeah I know, I've been saying that for years and years.  Ha Ha.

I've actually sent three chapters for proof reading and editing. So there.  ;)

Most say the series is in the pits. No money to be made. Personally, I'm not in it to make money.

I'm in the series for the designs, history and people behind them.

Nicely toned examples have no top price. Whoever wants it the most, regardless the cash, will own it.

I paid over $800 for this Maine in 63 OGH (before CAC was around):

MAINEOBV1.jpg

Mike Printz image

I sold it to a fellow collector at the price I paid. Didn't make a dime.

Sold most of my early commemoratives on GC a couple months ago.  Did Okay.

I saved the special ones for my self though:  :bigsmile:

Mark%20Goodman%20alabama%20combo%20blk%2

Some very knowledgeable folk's said one of the finest they've seen, regardless of grade (AU55 OGH). Mark Goodman image. Sorry, but no one I know can touch Mark on imaging and pricing.

Bob%20C%20Lex%20Combo%20%202_1.png

Sorry for the long winded post.

Go ahead and share your early commemoratives and tell the story behind your purchase if there is one.

Edited by leeg
Added the Maine

I love some of the designs,  but don't have any keepers yet.  Had a few of the common ones Columbians and Pilgrims,  but nothing looking like what you have posted. Those are gorgeous and exactly what I'd look to get my hands one day. 

I loaded up on a bunch of early commems about 25 or so years ago. Their price was so attractive to me then. To look at them now, it's almost unimaginable.

They're beautiful, historic, and they have low mintages. I always thought that if just 1000 people in the world woke up one morning and decided to collect commems, there they go !

It just never seems to happen. Over the past 4 or 5 years, I dribbled most of them off........It's a shame really.....

I do like the designs.  I rarely come across any worth purchasing on a budget.  Somewhat interested in the story behind the counterstamps on the reverse of the Stone Mountain design.  Sold a Stone Mountain & Lexington raw at auction a few months back for more than I thought they'd go for so there's interest there.  Both were AU condition, no toning.  Got a Huguenot off at NGC for grading now that has a really great strike and clean fields but still, no toning.

Just heard a podcast from 2018 with an Albanese interview and read another interview article of him dated this month.  In both interviews he found the time to mention he thinks the market for early silver commems is inflated.  So I don't know.  I like them, but it's not a series I've spent much time on.

While I do appreciate the history behind these I find the designs of many to be very uninspired, much like many of the modern statehood quarters so I've never been interested in collecting these as a series.  For example the Lexington you posted seems very dull with little design and a lot of open fields on each side, without the color the coin is not interesting to look at for me.  I have two or three for type purposes (one for my 7070 and two in old holders for my holder collection) but that is all I can see myself owning.  As a side note great images, I have used three pros to photograph coins for me in the past and Mark is by far the best.  This is one of my old holder collection coins an NGC 4th gen slab, decent pics but perhaps some day I'll get this off to Mark for a redo.  I like this coin for the holder but I also find ships on coins very eye appealing, and while I'm not a toner guy the colors on this coin are nice to my eye.

208428-015O.jpg

208428-015R.jpg

Edited by Coinbuf

15 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

Lee, you mentioned a Maine, but I don't see a picture of one in your post. Did you mean to say Alabama, instead?

Oops. I did forget it Mark.

Added it above.