• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would this be considered original toning?

14 posts in this topic

Found this beauty recently and most people like it, some very much so. I almost had second thoughts after one person said "Looks like it's been hit by a blow torch". He also said "I don't get this toning thing some collectors have". After explaining to him why I like nicely toned coins he replied "I guess I'm just a purist" which I took for preferring "White" non toned coins..This conversation made me examine the reasons why I and others like toned coins and are willing to pay a premium for them. I came to the conclusion I simply like them, am happy with this one and will continue to get more! 

s-l1600 (43).jpg

Edited by EleMint Man

Everyone does not like a Picasso, Chagall, Monet, Renoir.... need I go on? I really like the more subtle toning of your coin and it's just plain pretty to me. I also like white coins if they are of an age and type that makes it reasonable for them to have remained untoned. To each his own. Pretty dull hobby otherwise. 

4 hours ago, numisport said:

Great acquisition and looks original to me. Why not MS 66 ?

I've examined the coin thoroughly with a quality glass 4x magnifier and determined the obverse with it's clean cheek and  distinct hairline is MS65+. Some very light chatter on the left field hold it back from a 66 imo. The reverse is clean with no hits and a solid strike. It doesn't have the "Pop" a 66 has, especially in the wreath. Overall, a good candidate for a MS 65+ and I would not send it in for a regrade unless I was sure of a MS 67 designation! 

4 hours ago, Walkerfan said:

Looks original to me.  

Nice, subtle example but I wouldn't pay a huge premium for it.

The CAC bean adds exactly 20% to the value according to CDN. I paid about 28% over FMV retail as a BIN on ebay and bought it within minutes of seeing it. I would not have  hesitated to pay more. Had the coin be up for auction, I bet it would have sold for a considerably  higher amount!

Edited by EleMint Man

4 hours ago, EleMint Man said:

The CAC bean adds exactly 20% to the value according to CDN. I paid about 28% over FMV retail as a BIN on ebay and bought it within minutes of seeing it. I would not have  hesitated to pay more. Had the coin be up for auction, I bet it would have sold for a considerably  higher amount!

Sounds reasonable. (thumbsu

Edited by Walkerfan