• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Submit or Not to Submit

7 posts in this topic

On another forum a beautiful large old medal was posted. One of the responses was something like "when will you submit it?"

WHAT????

I myself do not submit medals for grading. When I find one slabbed (which is unusual in my field)  I free it and put it in a tray. I continue to collect US coins and of necessity will only buy graded coins, at least more expensive ones. But I wish it weren't so, I would much prefer to touch and view coins without a plastic screen and view them raw as a group. The idea of slabbing a medal, particularly a large one, would never occur to me. Just curious what your thoughts are, do you send virtually everything of any value in to be authenticated and graded, including exonumia? Colonials, foreign, ancients, EAC? 

I have never sent a coin or token in for grading.

I don't imagine that I would ever have a need to have a trade or lumber token graded or authenticated, although it might be necessary for a Merchant, Hard Times, or Civil War token. It is more likely that, if there was an issue of authenticity, I would look for one that was already slabbed.

As far as coins go, I can see where the need or desire might arise in the future, maybe if I run across a raw coin that I think will grade extremely high, or something that I need to have authenticated, or attributed, but it has not happened yet.

I only collect US coins at this time and have submited coins at times in the past, although not for many years now.  It all depends on the value and if having something graded/authenticated would increase the value enough to justify the costs so I think I would apply the same logic if I did ever collect outside of US coins.

I would never slab a medal or token. Unless it was worth mega bucks. I do slab raw coins on occasion if they fit into one of my graded sets. I much rather have them all in albums, but I also like the registry and all that it offers. 

I submitted one medal but don't think it is usually necessary.  I'd never pay a noticeable premium due to the grade either.

Most of my better coins are graded, none of which are US.  It takes me a while to accumulate enough for a submission and only do so every few years, probably including 2020.  I have slightly over a dozen Bolivia and Peru pillars to send in.

I've submitted tokens, especially very cool California gold ones.

I've submitted a medal though. They're generally big, and it just feels too good to be able to hold them raw.......

(I meant I've never  submitted a medal.)

Edited by thebeav

On 9/11/2019 at 8:39 AM, thebeav said:

I've submitted tokens, especially very cool California gold ones.

I've submitted a medal though. They're generally big, and it just feels too good to be able to hold them raw.......

Just got one of the Wiener medals from Hedley Betts. I love the heft of these, just like to pick them up. And of course authentication and grading are really unnecessary.