• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin Value Fluctuation

7 posts in this topic

Supply and demand. It's that simple. If people get excited about them, prices rise. If people get trouser grief over them, down go the prices. A lot of foreign coins are much lower in mintage/survivorship than certain high demand US issues, but far fewer people want them. Which is how an 09-S VDB penny can be worth low four figures in nice condition, with a mintage of 484K, whereas there are world coins with mintages in five figures that sell for less than ten bucks.

11 hours ago, Mathpark1981 said:

Will it gain its value back over time? What are the factors that decide this??

Not likely.  Usually when you see something like this it was because when they were first coming out there are a lot of people who can't wait and have to have the latest coin in the highest grade RIGHT NOW! so they bid the prices up to the moon.  Then as more become available,  and the next coin that everyone has to have RIGHT NOW comes out, interest wanes and the values plummett.  Since that insane early demand never comes back, neither do the initial high prices.

my opinion on this topic, more or less mirrors others statements.  if you have an ultra high grade ultra modern coin that you pulled and made from a roll, like a MS70/69 2004 nickel, sell it rapidly before the market pulls back due to the supply that exists and hasnt been graded yet

Who certified a 2004 Keelboat in MS70??? NGC's population shows none exist. Heck, NGC hasn't even graded an MS69. MS68 is the top pop.  PF70? Yes, thousands of them, but MS????

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/9/2019 at 11:18 AM, Mathpark1981 said:

I'm sorry I meant PF70.

It's all good. I have about 8000 of those mixups left in me.