• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally joined...

26 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Glad to have you on this side of the street. You will find things slower over here, but most of us are decent folks. What are your collecting interests?

Welcome, I am the same user name here and ats.  As mentioned you will see some familiar names/folks and some new ones, its slower here but way less of the snarky drama as over there.

A hearty WELCOME!!  :hi:

I did just the opposite of you----I joined here at NGC first in 2009 and had lurked since 2005, when I started my Registry!!  lol

I then joined PCGS two years later in 2011.  doh! 

Some of us old-time posters are still here but MANY have abandoned ship or passed on. :sorry:

There are also some really intriguing, fresh-faced contributors here, as well. :whee:

Those of us who remain like to affectionately call this place 'Sleepy Hollow'.  zzz 

Because, although slower paced, it is more laid-back and accepting of most posts and posters.  :acclaim:

I love to check in from time to time.  It's where I got my start and I will always consider it HOME.  :cloud9: 

Edited by Walkerfan

Welcome to a great site with lots and lots of knowledgeable people.  I have been collecting for 50 plus years but still learn things on this forum everytime I log in. 

On 9/4/2019 at 7:30 PM, Walkerfan said:

Those of us who remain like to affectionately call this place 'Sleepy Hollow'.  zzz 

This place was known as Sleepy Hollow even before you joined.

Over the past several years, NGC has alienated some of their fan base through a series of bad business decisions coupled with monumentally bad technology choices. The forum software is downright awful, and nearly unusable. Many of us who were loyal NGC fans have jumped ship and gone to other places. 

Edited by physics-fan3.14

20 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

This place was known as Sleepy Hollow even before you joined.

Over the past several years, NGC has alienated some of their fan base through a series of bad business decisions coupled with monumentally bad technology choices. The forum software is downright awful, and nearly unusable. Many of us who were loyal NGC fans have jumped ship and gone to other places. 

Yes, I know--I picked up the expression from you.  :wink:

The only business decision by NGC that I didn't agree with was the one concerning the Registry. 

I don't think that the software is that bad, though---I like the looks of it and have had no trouble with the user interface.  

Despite that; I have still decided to remain loyal.

I am very sorry that you feel, as you do, since you are one of the earlier, long-standing members both on the Registry and here on the boards. 

You've been a great contributor and I'm glad that you still check in from time to time, at least.  I always enjoy your posts and I like seeing your coins.  :smile:

Edited by Walkerfan

On 9/19/2019 at 5:31 PM, Walkerfan said:

I don't think that the software is that bad, though---I like the looks of it and have had no trouble with the user interface.  

Every time I click on a thread, it takes about 20 seconds to load. I've talked to NGC and their "technical support" and it is just awful. The site is literally so awful that I click a link, go to another tab and read a thread on another website, and then come back and hope it's loaded. I keep complaining about the awfulness of this software, but nothing changes. 

Have you tried uploading pictures? Did you know that you're limited to 4 MB per post? I can't even load a single picture, because modern pictures are usually much larger than that. 

If you've never tried another forum, I can see how this one might seem ok. But if you go to literally any other site, you'll find active participation, useful software, experienced posters, and decent moderators. Many ex-NGC posters appear on other sites. Every single criteria I can think of to compare coin forums... NGC ranks dead last. 

The saddest part is... if NGC actually valued this forum, it wouldn't take a whole lot of effort to fix it. 

The software here is not very friendly. I have to use Chrome to even be able to post. When the software changed here, I had a lot of problems. When I ask a question, it took several days to get an answer, if I ever did. All this sure took the fun away from being here but I'll keep posting as long as I can keep it working.

The image upload really needs to be fixed. On other sites, you can upload any file and the software will adjust the size of the image before it post. I don't want to edit every image just to post it here.  

I have no problem at all with this software or on the NGC website;  My computer makeup is:  Intel 7 - 4790 CPU, 32 GB fast memory, NVidia GeForce GT-730, Win 7 64 bit.  I use Internet Explorer.  Never had a problem with this site or any other.

Edited by Alex in PA.

I also haven’t experienced too many issues with the software. I have noticed that the threads can be slow to load at times but nowhere near the level experienced by others. I do agree that the picture size limit is a bit troubling.

2 hours ago, kbbpll said:

I see CaptHenway is here. I am fleeing the forum of "that other TPG". Hoping this is a better place to watch the paint dry on the internet.

Welcome to this  side of the street. :hi:

I use a different name ATS I guess because I have a different attitude there. I started here and always enjoyed both but some threads over there get 'poofed' for no known reason. Just the same I appreciate opinions from people that think like I do.

1 hour ago, numisport said:

I use a different name ATS I guess because I have a different attitude there. I started here and always enjoyed both but some threads over there get 'poofed' for no known reason. Just the same I appreciate opinions from people that think like I do.

A thread over there that I spent a great many hours researching got poofed. Perhaps that is the one you are referring to? 1942 pattern cent newly designated as a "high relief" with the accompanying press releases, when a little bit of research clearly indicated it was from the same hub used for a great many circulation strikes, and an identical die pair to another 1942 pattern. The man who wrote the book on these was excluded from their "research", and got banned over it. They really don't like egg on their face. Don't mean to hijack this thread. Hope to post something more useful in the future.

9 hours ago, kbbpll said:

A thread over there that I spent a great many hours researching got poofed. Perhaps that is the one you are referring to? 1942 pattern cent newly designated as a "high relief" with the accompanying press releases, when a little bit of research clearly indicated it was from the same hub used for a great many circulation strikes, and an identical die pair to another 1942 pattern. The man who wrote the book on these was excluded from their "research", and got banned over it. They really don't like egg on their face. Don't mean to hijack this thread. Hope to post something more useful in the future.

Yes I believe that thread is one that was removed after I received several responses. Although I cannot confirm my comment, there have been several poofed threads I responded to recently. Maybe it is my mistake.

I hang both places plus 'around the corner' at one of the non-TPG message boards.  Same icon, different user name here once there was a melding collector society names/board names --  I started doing the registry here as the sets were more my speed but used the Homer name as that was the website I started noodling around with and I stuck with it here.  In any case, still have the registry stuff here as these align more with my collecting.  NGC customer service has always been outstanding and though the message boards are slower, they are still fun enough.  Just need to be patient if you are waiting for a response from a fellow board member.