• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2004 D ms 65 Keelboat struck on improperly annealed planchet

18 posts in this topic

Hello all, 

I am curious about a nickel I found at a gas station I worked at in 2004. I sent it in to NGC for grading and it came back ms65 improperly annealed planchet. Now after many many years and lots of reading I understand what an improperly annealed planchet is and how it came to be the error that it is. I have become fascinated with "black beautys" as they are called. But one thing that I have never come across is another 2004 D keelboat nickel as ALL of the specimens that I can find are minted in Philadelphia. So I am curious as to know if I can find out how many of these nickels are known and the value of it? Surely mine cant be the ONLY one but it would certainly be pretty cool with me if it is. Any information would be appreciated. 

20190902_185608.jpg

I've got a small bag of these I found way back in my CRH days a couple of years ago.  Never really thought they'd be worth grading though.  I can check them sometime to see if any are Denver and newer.  Probably wouldn't hurt to make sure I'd still consider them improperly annealed/sintered and not environmental damage as it's been a few years.

Question:  I always presumed that would be considered a "Mint Error" and subject to the additional fee when submitting.  Did you submit with that add-on service or was it completed in-line without being requested separately?

33 minutes ago, Mathpark1981 said:

I'm pretty sure you have to designate what you want NGC to verify. Of course that was over 10 years ago so that may have changed

Got it.  I didn't notice that.  But now I'm trying to figure out slabs & numbers.  I know from personal submissions the digits ahead of the hyphen is the invoice number.  Those after the hyphen is the coin's place within the submission.  Yours shows to be invoice 1,821,938 (6th coin on the submission form) but it's in a new generation holder.  I would've presumed that invoice number low enough to be in an old soap bar fatty.  Even looking at this great post by Conder there's an old holder for reference and the invoice number is higher than yours (the 1923 Peace Dollar).  

Now, there is the direction not to re-use an invoice if you print it.  I've always done the online submission form.  I wonder if it's possible to print off, say 1000 invoices right now simply to reserve the next 1,000 numbers in sequence and actually complete the submission whenever you like.  We're in the 4 millions now.  The submissions I just sent Saturday end at 4748192.  It'll be a while before there's a "cool number" available but theoretically you could try to get to 5000000 and submit all your coins under that submission.

Edited by CRAWTOMATIC
grammar

My latest submissions, at the August ANA show, were ALL well into the "starting with a 5" range. Invoice numbers are a VERY POOR indicator of time graded. The ones I did last year started with a 2. I have 2828282.

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/2/2019 at 4:57 PM, Mathpark1981 said:

Hello all, 

I am curious about a nickel I found at a gas station I worked at in 2004. I sent it in to NGC for grading and it came back ms65 improperly annealed planchet. Now after many many years and lots of reading I understand what an improperly annealed planchet is and how it came to be the error that it is. I have become fascinated with "black beautys" as they are called. But one thing that I have never come across is another 2004 D keelboat nickel as ALL of the specimens that I can find are minted in Philadelphia. So I am curious as to know if I can find out how many of these nickels are known and the value of it? Surely mine cant be the ONLY one but it would certainly be pretty cool with me if it is. Any information would be appreciated. 

20190902_185608.jpg

On 11/1/2021 at 1:25 PM, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the Forum

Your quarter is not the same, yours is suffering from Environmental Damage, completely different and has no added value.

I agree with everything except I think his is a nickel.  ;)

Hello, I'm new to this group and have been searching information regarding IAP-Improperly Annealed Planchet. Although mine is not a nickel, I did find this 1989 quarter. At first I thought it was colored in by a magic marker or just aged differently. Really have no clue. Thoughts?

obverse1989.jpg

1989p.jpg

IMG-2117.jpg

On 5/29/2022 at 8:26 AM, Coinsy said:

Hello, I'm new to this group and have been searching information regarding IAP-Improperly Annealed Planchet. Although mine is not a nickel, I did find this 1989 quarter. At first I thought it was colored in by a magic marker or just aged differently. Really have no clue. Thoughts?

Here is a link that explains improper annealing

Error reference