• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chinese coin help!

10 posts in this topic

Can anyone help educate me? What is this coin, what year?  I tested it with a magnet and it is not magnetic. It weighs 31.1 grams and is 3.83 cm wide.  I found in a bag with a bunch of foreign coins.  

40288CFD-316E-40F4-9AC1-9F5BFB9D17D9.jpeg

53DD06BE-816A-483F-9E98-92BB7007DA8A.jpeg

Edited by Silverman999
Add more details

In order to educate you, we'd need to know what your questions are.

Also, suggest you weigh it, caliper its diameter, and place a magnet on it. If it doesn't attract a magnet, that doesn't mean it's real, but it does rule out one class of fakes. Weight and diameter will help, in case what you want to know is "what is this" and "is this authentic."

11 minutes ago, Silverman999 said:

Okay I will do that .... thank you for the feedback... I was given this a a few other Chinese coins(found in star age after someone passed away). Chinese coins are confusing, but I knew someone here has the knowledge.

We get it a lot and it's okay. I don't read Chinese and am no expert, but I've looked at enough of them that some of the stuff looks familiar.

Chinese silver of the late imperial and early republic eras has a lot of fakes, mainly because the increasingly good Chinese counterfeiters have access to the best examples, so as with trade dollars (or any other silver coin said to have circulated in China), the first step is to establish authenticity. This coin will have an expected weight and yours should match it within reasonable wear tolerances. Diameter will also matter. Armed with that information, it'll be much easier to look up. If you can believe this, some people refuse to provide it.

OP I hope you found out what it is but chances are very high that its probably a fake. First off, the chinese are actually making fakes using silver for the old coins and the look of that coin has the same look as all the fake Chinese coins I see being sold all around asia. Most of the time when members on this forum or others post old rarer chinese coins, 99% of the time they turn out to be fake, goodluck, if you think its real, send it to NGC

Thank you for providing the additional information. This looks like Imperial Chinese/Fengtien (aka Guangxi) Y#87 (Year 24, thus 1898). However, my information is that Y#87 (a Chinese silver one-dollar coin) should weigh 26.4g, with a silver content of .7215 oz. I cannot find what the diameter should be (very odd, this). I see no other logical catalog entry that matches as well.

Since yours significantly outmasses the standard weight, I suspect it's counterfeit. The real ones are worth low three figures, I'd estimate, but I suspect a testing would show it was made of something other than mostly silver.