• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Confused about Steel Pennies.

17 posts in this topic

Hello All,

Being new to coin collecting I find that I have LOTS of questions. Most I can find answers to on the internet.

Sometimes though I find little or nothing. Without the input of you folks there would be a distinct lack of knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

My question is about these steel cents. Are they delams? Should I keep them? Seem to have a number of them. this a common problem?

Thanks Again,

Ron0831191019_HDR.thumb.jpg.7a20085466789cd72f55953d35e070aa.jpg

0831191018_HDR.jpg

0831191016_HDR.jpg

Offhand, based only on what I can see, I suspect they have been replated and some of the plating has deteriorated. The pebbly surfaces I see are not characteristic of original steelies.

On 9/1/2019 at 2:31 AM, Erik’s verietys said:

Look for 1943 bronze u won’t forget that find! 

Goodluck hunting

5BE1618B-E315-4A7B-AB89-E356886C89D0.jpeg

C3942A87-5587-47DA-B6C7-591B75B54F1F.jpeg

If you are saying that this coin is a 1943, which I believe you implied in another thread, I am afraid that you are mistaken

Edited by Just Bob

On 9/1/2019 at 5:20 PM, Just Bob said:

If you are saying that this coin is a 1943, which I believe you implied in another thread, I am afraid that you are mistaken

That is not my picture or coin! What does that have to do with my question?

10 minutes ago, ronculbert said:

Someone took the liberty of trolling by posting irrelevant garbage coin pics in your thread. As you can see, it worked to perfection.

11 minutes ago, ronculbert said:

What does that mean and what does it have to do with my question?

Okay, want a comment on yours? It's a common replated steel 1943 cent, nothing more. The VAST, VAST, V-A-S-T majority of "shiny" 1943 cents have been replated. In most Whitman or Dansco albums I see, all 3 (P,D, & S) are replate jobs, and NOT original. You have to see STEEL on the edges, including a touch of rust, not zinc, or it's a replated 1943.

43 minutes ago, ronculbert said:

No need to get excited. I was responding to the other poster's picture, not yours. That is why I quoted him, and referred to another thread of his- so that no one would think that I was responding to you. Evidently, it did not work as I intended. Sorry for the confusion, but many people will read these threads in the future, and I like to try to correct misinformation whenever I have the chance.

Thanks for the feedback. When I say I am new to coin collecting I am not kidding. Been at it for three months now.

I have a masters in archaeology and understand how complex this subject can be. Ancient pottery is worse. Still I am a rank amateur in coins. Thought this would be the best place to get good info. It is. Thanks to those who helped. I had never heard of replating of these coins before. Enjoyed researching it.

Thanks KKK, Greenstang and Just Bob.

Thanks,

Ron 

Edited by ronculbert

28 minutes ago, ronculbert said:

Thanks _KK, Greenstang and Just Bob.

I am sure you did not intend to type what you did in your post--and that it was a simple typo--but I would appreciate if you edited it.

30 minutes ago, ronculbert said:

Thanks for the feedback. When I say I am new to coin collecting I am not kidding. Been at it for three months now.

I have a masters in archaeology and understand how complex this subject can be. Ancient pottery is worse. Still I am a rank amateur in coins. Thought this would be the best place to get good info. It is. Thanks to those who helped. I had never heard of replating of these coins before. Enjoyed researching it.

Thanks KKK, Greenstang and Just Bob.

On the other end of things VkurtB You could have said nothing. Being a arrogant condescending jerk added nothing to  the discussion. Although the rust thing is something to look for.

Thanks,

Ron 

Nothing except the rust, eh? Well that's NOT nothing then, is it?