• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 error penny

9 posts in this topic

Even if it isn't a fingerprint ( without the coin in hand is hard to say one way or the other) it is still some form of damage, not an error as this could not happen during the striking of the coin, which is the only time an error can occur. Certainly not worth getting graded as it is only worth 1 cent.

If you like it and you want to keep it, and I don't want to discourage you either way, forget having it graded. Just put it in a nice new stapled 2x2 and start your own "mishandled coin" file box. But that is what it is, a mishandled coin, not a mint error. In the annals of ANA competitive exhibiting, one exhibit of ONLY damaged coins DID win a Best in Show one year. It was extensive and well researched as to causes.

Edited by VKurtB

1 minute ago, Skips Coin said:

Interesting Whats also strange The date is clear and liberty is clear and looks like the roller marks are under liberty.

If that is the case, and I cannot see it either way, aye or nay, then it would HAVE to be one of only two things - a DEEPLY flawed planchet, or a crazily damaged die. Again, that assumes something I cannot confirm or deny, the truth of what @Skips Coin has written above me.