• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1776-1976 IKE info/value

8 posts in this topic

There are two types of 1976 Ikes, 1 & 2. Yours is a type 1. (Type 2 is the more valuable.) Hard to see condition as pictures are blurry but unless in MS condition, not worth much over face value as there were over 117 Million minted in Philadelphia alone.

Edited by Greenstang

Aimee,

Ike dollars are the ULTIMATE example where condition is absolutely EVERYTHING. Almost all circulated ones (ones that SHOW circulation) are considered nearly junk. I remember CARRYING these puppies to SPEND!!! But when you encounter a truly pristine example, they can bring "stupid money" in some cases. It's a really interesting segment of the market and hobby.

3 hours ago, Greenstang said:

There are two types of 1976 Ikes, 1 & 2. Yours is a type 1. (Type 2 is the more valuable.) Hard to see condition as pictures are blurry but unless in MS condition, not worth much over face value as there were over 117 Million minted in Philadelphia alone.

This is the Type 2 actually and the values are flipped with Type 1 bringing a little more premium (but mostly on the Philadelphia issues only).

And as a question, does it make anybody else twinge whenever you see a 1976 Proof Ike listed as Type 1 when clearly they all are except for 1 known copy as a Type 2 (3 total possible) and with a clear provenance of how they came into existence?  I guess I feel like it's a marketing gimmick to play on some lack of knowledge on the consumer's part.

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/dollars/eisenhower-dollars-1971-1978/

https://www.pcgs.com/top100/coin4

3 minutes ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

I feel like it's a marketing gimmick to play on some lack of knowledge on the consumer's part.

There! You said it EXACTLY! That, right there is what spikes my blood pressure about 30 points. It makes me so angry I could spit, yet it is ALL OVER THE PLACE in the coin hobby.

This is the Type 2 actually and the values are flipped with Type 1 bringing a little more premium (but mostly on the Philadelphia issues only).

Your right of course. Should have checked instead of going from memory. Thanks for catching, there's enough  wrong info out there without me adding to it.

1 hour ago, Greenstang said:

Your right of course. Should have checked instead of going from memory. Thanks for catching, there's enough  wrong info out there without me adding to it.

Pssh.  Usually I'm the wrong one.  I figured it was just a simple transposition error anyway.  You're good.