• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1986 prestige proof set

6 posts in this topic

I cant seem to find any info on prestige proof set error coins. I found two years in the 60s that have errors but nothing for 86. The 86 penny has some doubling on both sides. See pics. The obverse I and reverse across the tops and backs of most lettering has "shiny" marks.Very obvious when looking at it but hard to see in pics because the proof surface. Let me know if this is worth sending in and having graded as a set!

20190826_144241.jpg

20190826_144222.jpg

"prestige proof set error coins. I found two years in the 60s that have errors but nothing for 86."

Whuuuuut? Prestige Proof sets only started in 1983. You couldn't have seen any from the 60's. You need to be extraordinarily careful about what you think you see in ANY Prestige Proof set. The coins are highly reflective and so is the inside surface of the plastic cover. Repeated interior reflections are a constant problem. What you are seeing here is likely the result of internal reflections.

Edited by VKurtB

Thank you for the response! Your right, as I was looking at the wrong column for the prestige sets, however, the outlines arent reflections. They look like scrapes in the metal, I'll set up my cannon camera and try to get some clear shots!

1 minute ago, Mc10139 said:

Thank you for the response! Your right, as I was looking at the wrong column for the prestige sets, however, the outlines arent reflections. They look like scrapes in the metal, I'll set up my cannon camera and try to get some clear shots!

That would be really nice, but the edges of the plastic "cells" near the coins can be a bear when trying to get a clear shot. Been there, tried that. But, good luck!

Finally got new batteries for my loupe and my cannon eos set up for the money shot.....Haha literally the money shot. I know these are supposed to be the best of the best so is this common or extremely rare that the mint missed it?20190827_071936.thumb.jpg.e308f8b6c8b7b11a74e7eb2acb7058d9.jpg

20190827_072042.jpg

20190827_072013.jpg