• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Regrade Service - GRADES ARE IN

14 posts in this topic

I decided to utilize a credit I had accumulated from NGC on the regrade service.  I have zero experience with it, but I submitted 10 coins as regrades.  I will let you know how my results go in a few weeks.  

Edited by Davids5104

8 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Are these all NGC coins that you hope will upgrade?

He mentioned “regrade service” and “regrade”, so unless he used the wrong terminology, the coins are NGC coins.

i don’t, however, understand the point of the post, prior to posting results and with no mention or pictures of the coins.

3 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

He mentioned “regrade service” and “regrade”, so unless he used the wrong terminology, the coins are NGC coins.

i don’t, however, understand the point of the post, prior to posting results and with no mention or pictures of the coins.

fair enough... I left out the part asking for previous experiences.  They are all NGC coins that I reviewed and I thought they were candidates for upgrade.  I will post some photos of the current submissions in a bit.  

On 8/24/2019 at 3:05 PM, Davids5104 said:

I decided to utilize a credit I had accumulated from NGC on the regrade service.  I have zero experience with it, but I submitted 10 coins as regrades.  I will let you know how my results go in a few weeks.  

I'm wondering why / why these 10 coins? Were they older slabs like old fatty's and you're making a gradeflation play? Were they graded before they started doing the "+" grading and you think they might be able to get a "+" in their current grade?

I selected this group because after looking a some of the candidates these were the coins that generated a large Bump in value where the improvement of any single coin "pays" for the lot.  There was only one coin that had the old slab which was the 1941D nickel.  the group contains 3 plus graded coins and 3 star designated coins, but I think that was coincidence in my selecting although I may have had some bias.  For the dimes, which is what I am the most familiar with, there were 6 dimes I submitted and they looked better than their friends I compared them to.  I did make a mistake in this submission.  I sent in a 1958D 10C MS68 dime for regrade.  I contacted NGC and they are not going to "regrade" that coin.  I am unsure what I was looking for, but the risk of MS-67 and utilization of the NGC guarentee is not the same thing.  

GRADES ARE IN!!!!

Regarding the Variety submission - I am working on a war nickel variety set.  The 1942 P is highest graded example, I think

The other group of 9 was the regrade.  NGC was consistent with the grading in this specific example group.  Not a single move for any coins in any direction or attribution

37287134_max.jpg

Capture.JPG

Congrats on the war nic, too bad you were not successful on any of the upgrades but I suspect that your results are more common than not.  I am guessing that its more difficult to get an upgrade at the very top level grades; especially if that upgrade creates a new top pop; as opposed to mid level MS or circ grades.

The 42 P/P war nickel is a big coin in my mind.  Regarding regrades I had a belief that 2 would change... the 1941D nickel and the 58D half.  I thought they had the best chance.  I think you are right that most dont change.